The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU at DreamHost (7 posts)

1. bentrem
    Posted 15 years ago #

Done.

I installed all the files in domain.com/ root. (Somewhere I read to install the directory and rename it wpmu, but then all subdomain blogs are .com/mpmu and I didn't want that.)

Then contact support to setup wildcard domain. (Going through steps without understanding isn't fun, but it worked.)
    The DreamHost Wiki is very clear about that. [1]

Then, according to that wiki page, I CHMOD the root directory and /wp-content to 777.

No joy ... 500 error.
    Operating blind I created subdir.domain.com and pointed its directory to domain.com ... and that worked!

--bentrem

p.s. I can't find how to join as a new-comer, not logged in, which is the point, but that's for another thread. Moo docs are really skimpy.

1) - http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/WordPress_MU

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've installed WPMU on DH several times already and never had any issues.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

On a default install the main blog uses the home theme, which has a link to the signup page on it.

4. bentrem
    Posted 15 years ago #

@Venture - the only "issue" is the wildcard domain setup.

@andrea - the "create page" / SignUp link and text is a little scrambled. I'm working on that.

NB: soon after the site started working I had 2 working subdomain blogs, but with both needed to create directories manually ... which, as you can appreciate, is sub-optimal.

This morning I created a subdomain blog with no manual intervention at all.
    What changed?
    I can only imagine some sort of lag or latency having to do with the wildcard domain mapping.

In any case, all is well.

Next: to my way of thinking site admin should be able to control which permissions go with which roles.
    Moo doesn't have docs on this; WP codex is here:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Those roles and capabilities are the same in MU. Only difference is there's a Site Admin that has access to everything.

And yes, the initial wildcard setup lags at Dreamhost.

6. g8minhquan
    Posted 15 years ago #

I asked the wildcard DNS setup and they set it up in just less than an hour. That's good enough for me.

7. bentrem
    Posted 15 years ago #

Maybe I'm just quibbling ... maybe off the shelf perms/roles will work just fine ... a little voice tells me I'm going to need to customize those.

And for the record: "wildcard setup lags at Dreamhost" is true but (credit where due) it didn't lag for long. And I didn't have to rattle their chain for it to happen.

About this Topic