The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

install details & on-going operations for single wp instance across 2 web svrs (3 posts)

1. joegoar
    Posted 15 years ago #

I need to understand the wordpress application better in order to determine if special steps are required to setup/support my configuration.

I'm new to WP & I've installed wpmu 2.6.3 from http://mu.wordpress.org/download/latest.tar.gz
    Our config is 2 load-balanced web servers each pointing to their own replicated db instance.
    the db replication seems to be working fine, but I have some concerns on the setup, config, and on-going support of the web servers. Is there anything during the config that is only written to the web server's local files, in htdocs/blogs, such as wp-config.php...is there anything else during setup & on-going use of the application that would have to be continuously sync'd? I see mentions of NFS & rsync'ing but its not clear if its specific files or a certain directory (or directory structure).

First install of this seemed to go okay but when I went to enable plugin capabilities from the site admin\options area I received an error. This was followed by many many redirecting/looping issues.
    After a couple days of troubleshooting, restoring a backup version of the db, etc. I decided to drop the DB & remove the wpmu dir structure & start from scratch.
    This time I decided to only do the work on 1 web server.
    Now, everything is up & running & I'm trying to decide if I tar up the "installed" wpmu dir structure on the web server & copy it over to web server #2. Is this the best way to go? Also, does wpmu write anything to local FS that I need to be concerned with regarding on-going functionality?

Thanks a bunch for any feedback,
    Joe

2. joegoar
    Posted 15 years ago #

minor update is that our wp config points to a virtual/load-balanced IP for its DB, which directs traffic to 2 real IPs where we have a replicated mysql DB running.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"Also, does wpmu write anything to local FS that I need to be concerned with regarding on-going functionality?"

uploaded files by users are stored under wp-content/blogs.dir/ so those will have to be synced.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by joegoar
  • Latest reply from andrea_r