The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to remove the visual rich editor? (5 posts)

1. thierrybc
    Posted 17 years ago #

I really hate this option and I want to dissallow it for the users of my site.

I remove the option via the users menu but is not working. I imagine that I have to remove some lines in the WPMU code but I really don't know where to look.

Somebody can Help me?

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually, just delete everything in "wp-inst\wp-includes\js\tinymce" and it should degrade nicely.

3. thierrybc
    Posted 17 years ago #

I made it but it's not working. The visual rich editor is always here. :/ I don't want to die.

4. Rafal
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have renamed "tinymce" folder and this editor disappeared. There was no problems.

5. chmac
    Posted 16 years ago #

It doesn't quite disable the visual editor though, although WordPress does degrade nicely.

If you have "Use visual editor" ticked and you remove the tinymce folder, then you don't get an editor at all. You simply get two text boxes (no javascript errors though). However, the checkbox disappears from your User Profile page. So you can't then disable the visual editor.

Whereas, if you disable the visual editor first, then remove the tinymce folder, you still get the old fashioned javascript editor.

Thus, it's not quite a perfect solution to simply remove the folder. It would be better to be able to uncheck the option automatically for all users.

About this Topic