The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Upgrading MU now can't log in. (7 posts)

1. Dennews
    Posted 15 years ago #

I was upgrading my Wordpress MU and used the Wordpress Automatic Upgrade plug-in. Everything seemed to work fine, and I got a new Wordpress log-in screen, but when I use my old log-in name and password, it gives me the message:

You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page. I also noticed that the "MU" portion of my site has disappeared. I suspect I used an plain WP automatic upgrade that doesn't upgrade WP MU.

Any ideas what I should do? I'm not quite sure on how to restore my old MU with my backed up files.

2. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

Didnt you check the plugin before installing and using it ? It overwrote MU and installed regular wordpress.

The last 2 releases of Wordpress didnt do database upgrades, so you might be in luck.

-Delete everything except wp-content & wp-config.php
    -then reupload a fresh copy of the Wordpress MU files and see what happens.

3. Dennews
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for your help, Klarko. No, I didn't check the plugin because I was on the phone with a supposed WP "expert" who was talking me through the upgrade and suggested I use that plug in to do it. He said using the plugin was easier than following the directions because it does everything automatically.

I'm deleting the files and replacing them with the backup now. I'll let you know how it goes.

4. Dennews
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, that didn't work. I'm getting errors like:

Warning: load_template(WP_CONTENT_DIR/themes/default/header.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/d/e/n/dennews/html/wp-includes/theme.php on line 472

Fatal error: load_template(): Failed opening required 'WP_CONTENT_DIR/themes/default/header.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/content/d/e/n/dennews/html/wp-includes/theme.php on line 472

I did check my DB through MySQL and all the original tables appear to be in tact.

I should add a reminder that I'm actually trying to upgrade from 1.3 to 2.6.3.

5. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

Then download 1.3 and replace those files. If you have your backup then use it.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Looks like you probably need to do a couple things here.

a) Re-download 2.6.3, and make sure you have uploaded all the files from it.

b) You'll need to modify your wp-config.php file as well. If you haven't been able to log in at all yet, don't add the salt keys to your wp-config file. There's 6 or 7 of them as of 2.6. You can log in without them, and then the admin area will make them for you, and tell you to put them in your config file.

From there, compare the 2.6.3 wp-config-sample.php with your current one. You may need to add some additional lines to it as well.

Oh, and I'd never recommend using any type of auto-update for MU at all.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sounds like the guy on the phone missed the part about it being for Wordpress MU.

Might want to call him back and let him know, just so he doesn't mess up someone else.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by Dennews
  • Latest reply from andrea_r