The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

one admin, multiple blogs on multiple hosting accounts (9 posts)

1. barnburn
    Posted 15 years ago #

How do I do this:

I want to create mini-sites on about 30 domain names. Each needs to rank well on search engines.

(examples)
    flowers.com
    bugs.com
    thunder.com
    blogs.com

I'll be creating separate hosting accounts for each. I'd like to access them via one wordpress admin screen.

Each will have a slightly different theme. Each will need own meta tags, etc.

Any suggestions? Is Wordpress MU for me?

2. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

MU can't span separate hosting accounts. Save money and get one server, create one account, install MU in subdomain mode, install the Domain Mapping plugin.

3. barnburn
    Posted 15 years ago #

This could end up being quite cheap.

I use a shared server. I've set the account up with multiple domain aliases.

Will this work? Do I need a dedicated server? Are there any additional hurdles when it comes to hosting?

4. barnburn
    Posted 15 years ago #

Where do I find the "server IP address"? Is this needed?

5. teguhaditya
    Posted 15 years ago #

how to use domain mapping to my mu wordpress http://gulagaram.com/

6. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

You could use Shared yes, but a VPS at least is recommended. Some shared accounts don't allow you access to certain resources you will need to edit for MU to work in sub-domain mode.

7. barnburn
    Posted 15 years ago #

Why is there so little documentation about a popular plugin?

Anyhow,

I've setup an account with Media Temple.
    (dv) Dedicated-Virtual 3.5 - Base

When I'm configuring the plugin, do I need to simply setup the server with the main domain name, with all of the other domain names as aliases? I don't want to set it up wrong.

Thank you

8. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

No just setup MU as you normally would in subdomain mode. You dont need to do anything with aliases. After you setup MU, you create sub blogs for each of the domains you want to map, then install the plugin and visit the plugin page while logged in as Site Admin. Set the IP of your server, and for each of the domains you want to map, create an A record that points to your server IP. Then go to the domain mapping page for each sub blog and enter the domain name.

9. barnburn
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thank you very much!

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by barnburn
  • Latest reply from barnburn