The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Uploads in wrong directory? (Different problem) (13 posts)

1. RobertLBasil
    Posted 15 years ago #

I know, I know, this has been covered MANY times in the forums in the past. If fact I've spent the last 3+ hours reading all of the threads and still can't figure out what is wrong.

When I upload a file it is placed here:

http://mydomain.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/12/2008/file.jpg

But when I view any of the templates they are linking to:

http://mydomain.com/files/2008/12/file.jpg

I've tried changing the "Define Uploads" line in my wp-settings.php file but it does not seem to make ny difference no matter what I change it to.

I've installed 10-20 regular WP installs on this server with no issues at all. Why is MUWP being such a PITA?

I'm ready to pull my hair out, any suggestions? Please?

Oh, I don't use .htaccess (On an IIS box). I know, but it's a work requirement.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

That's how WPMU handles file uploads - it put them in a slightly different spot than WP, and it uses rewrite rules (what the htaceess is for) to show the file in a different location.

3. RobertLBasil
    Posted 15 years ago #

I understand that, so how do I fix it so the templates look in the right spot without using htaccess? mu is supposed to work on IIS right?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"mu is supposed to work on IIS right? "

No, actually. The requirements are an Apache server.

From the download page:

"Requirements

Apart from WordPress Requirements

* Apache mod_rewrite - if you had WP installed already with fancy URLs then you should be fine."

Other people have it running on Windows, but had to get an extra module. These threads may or may not help.
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/tags.php?tag=iis

5. RobertLBasil
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ok, look. Everything works on IIS except for the location that the templates look for uploaded images, there HAS to be some code somewhere that I can change.

I find it odd that a standalone WP has no problem uploading files on IIS without rewrite, but mu does?

The files are uploading to the correct area, it's just that the templates are not pointing to the correct folder.

6. andrewbillits
    Posted 15 years ago #

"Ok, look."

Erm, we have looked...

Andrea and I both have told you what you need to do in order to get everything working properly:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic.php?id=574

I even pointed you to the right thread:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=5483

"Why is MUWP being such a PITA?"

It's not being a PITA, it's just a bit different from WP and has different requirements. If you can't use Apache with mod_rewrite then you need to use a rewrite add-on for IIS.

Now, if you choose not to take our advice and instead want to try and hack the code to get it working then that is most definitely your choice. However, let's keep the "Ok, look" comments out of it shall we?

Thanks,
    Andrew

7. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

"Everything works on IIS except for the location that the templates look for uploaded images."

Not true, else the image url's would work too.

No rewrite, no image url's out of the box. Or permalinks for that matter.

8. RobertLBasil
    Posted 15 years ago #

lunabyte,

Wrong. permalinks work out of the box.

Andrew,

So if the file upload url setting in MU does not change anything in the templates why is the setting even there?

My problem has nothing to do with mod_rewrite. The fileupload url setting in MU does not work, period.

9. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

"The fileupload url setting in MU does not work, period."

You know, if that were the case, nobody would have this working.

"Wrong. permalinks work out of the box."

Um, yeah. Not without additional modules. Unless you think a permalink looks like /?p=5.

So since your file url isn't working, and it is most certainly correct in being /files/%year%/%month%/%file_name%, which is what you listed above, then no, permalinks AREN'T working.

10. dustinmcgrew
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am having this same exact problem and my permalinks are working just fine. HELP!

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Link please so we can double check.

12. dustinmcgrew
    Posted 14 years ago #

My site is not on a live server yet. I'm just building it on my own machine right now.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Start a new thread with your exact details - like exactly what is not working and how, what you've done to troubleshoot it so far, etc...

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by RobertLBasil
  • Latest reply from andrea_r