The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Installing wordpress mu in subdirectory when you have wordpress on root (4 posts)

1. james_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

So guys from wordpress covered almost all aspect of wordpress mu instalation but this one. I have a simple wordpress instalation on root and want to install wordpress mu in subfolder like /wordpressmu/ and still having the main wordpress installation (on root) instact.
    To clarify onece again I want to have simplewodpressblog.com + simplewodpressblog.com/wordpressmu/ and then simplewodpressblog.com/wordpressmu/blog1 , simplewodpressblog.com/wordpressmu/blog2 ,
    simplewodpressblog.com/wordpressmu/blog3
    etc.

Now the problem is solved but really need to spare someone else 2 days of searching and argueing with host manager about not letting me change httpd.conf file etc. After testing, retesting, installing on localhost, adding echo "I am here" every stept of the installation files I have come to the following conclusion:

When installing wirdpress mu like I explained earlier the installtion files look for wp-config.php and wp-admin folder in the root even if the installtion was started from a subdirectory (/wordpressmu/ - in our case, AND conflicts with them getiing you the most common errors like
    "No WPMU site defined on this host. If you are the owner of this site, please check Debugging WPMU for further assistance."
    "No site defined: Couldn't find constant VHOST"
    and so on that make you think after testing and retesting that the only problem could be in your hosting provider settings.
    In fact by temporarly renaming wp-config.php, wp-admin, wp-content, wp-includesin (your root files on your simple wordpress install) and continueing the wordpress mu installation as usual you could spare 2 days of pain.

Thank you.
    ps. wordpress mu developers if you read this you know what to do.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yep, we've covered this in the forums already. :)

3. rumblepup
    Posted 15 years ago #

I might be a day late on this, but I have a dumb question. Why don't you just export the contents of your original blog, clear off the original wp install, reinstall wpmu into the root, create as many subdirectories using mu as you want, and in the main wpmu blog, import your old content. Seems to take care of a lot of your issues.

4. xenon2050
    Posted 15 years ago #

Rumble: In most situations I would agree with you. I don't see a reason that a normal production site would do it this way, but for testing purposes Wordpress does act different as compared to WPMU.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by james_r
  • Latest reply from xenon2050