The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can anyone recommend a host? (97 posts)

1. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

For what its' worth, I'm still liking knownhost.com. Over a year now with MU and their support and service is still second to none. Fast, attentive, knowledgeable and I've only had one minor downtime in the whole year.

In fact I'm looking at setting up two new VPS's. What with running another VPS with Futurehosting, it was clearly gonna be a toss up between these two - guess which one I'm considering going with...!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm transitioning to a dedicated server over at ServerBeach. It's pretty awesome.

(mine you, they only support hardware issues, so any other screw-up there is totally gonna be my fault.. :D )

3. muymalestado
    Posted 15 years ago #

andrea_r replied 1 week ago "Don't get the Grid. Not if your site is any size. "

Thanks, likely good advice, but why?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Because it will continuously go down. :)

5. maythil
    Posted 15 years ago #

I doubt the wisdom behind Wordpress's inclusion (and recommendation!) of godaddy.com as one of the 5 best places to host Wordpress. In fact godaddy is the worst hosting service on the planet when it comes to hosting any package. This is no sweeping remark. Consider the critical disadvantages.

1. Even the cheapest hosting service (in terms of price and/or quality)gives you direct access to a Cpanel or similar session to modify your settings, create your data bases, and handle your File Manger. Goddday pathetically lacks this. They force you to sign in at their website first to do anything for your website at all.

2. When you want to add a module, component or plugin to work with Joomla, Wordpress or any software under any regular hosting service, you upload a zipped version of it to the folder concerned and unzip it. Cpanel comes with an Extract panel to do these. Godaddy's file manger doesn't have this option. This means: Either you need to upload all the files one by one, or use some 3rd party upload software (even the latter fails almost always).

3. Even the cheapest hosting service allows you a direct FTP access through 'My Network Places' that comes with Windows. Click Windows "Start" and you can see it and "Add a new network place". Using this, you can access your server, and then drag and drop your plugins, etc into your server. This option has serious problem with Godaddy (in fact, in my experience, it never works).

4. This is further to Point 3. To access your server through 'My Network Places', you need only one password whether you are uploading files to Joomla, Wordpress or any folder. With godaddy (if this FTP methods works at all), you need a different password (a different login) to each folder or application.

5. Lots of sites come with a live chat syatem where you can have your pre-sales talk, or report problems on the spot and get an expert advice. Godaddy doesn't have this service. You have to post a ticket and wait for hours to get a response, and most of the time you get a reply not from an expert, but somebody who doesn't know what you are talking about.

I have been creating websites since 1999, for myself and others, and my advice to potential Wordpress users is what I advise my clients: buy any hosting service, but keep away from godaddy. Once, I had to buy another service immediately after buying a godaddy plan, because godday is a torture.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey, I agree with ya. But I'm not official WordPress. ;)

(and by mentioning godaddy hosting above, I thought I mentioned it was not *my* site. And you know on the official WP hosting recommendation page, they are affiliates for those hosts? And they are for single WP, not MU.)

7. flatsilver
    Posted 15 years ago #

hostgator has the best support someone could ask for. I have never had a problem that they couldnt fix and be happy doing it. ive never rated them less than 10 out of 10 on all aspects after. im HAPPY to pay the dollar or two extra permonth.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by Maedi
  • Latest reply from flatsilver