The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Ubuntu VPS and WPMU Unresponsive? (8 posts)

1. DragonFlyEye
    Posted 15 years ago #

I recently switched over my WPMU sites from a hosted web environment to a Linode VPS. The VPS is running Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS with the default Apache2, MySQL and PHP installations. Since switching over to the new VPS, I've noticed that my sites will occasionally become unresponsive, requiring a reboot.

I'm sure this is related to the VPS, since everything worked fine on my hosts. But I'm wondering if anyone here ran into a similar problem for which a tweak to WPMU might be the solution? The funny thing is: when the unresponsiveness happens, there's no corresponding spike in CPU usage, network traffic or disk I/O.

Thanks for any help you can give me

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

I don't think that tweaking WPMU will help here. It's definitely server-side problem(s).
    Check logs :)

3. DragonFlyEye
    Posted 15 years ago #

VentureMaker,

Thanks for the response. I'm digging, believe me. And checking the Linode forums, as well. Just thought anyone here with knowledge might provide a shortcut. Thanks.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'd be looking for a memory leak.

5. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

I second that, as I also have a site on Ubuntu 8.04 but with Litespeed instead of Apache with little to no problems (touch wood). Look in the direction of Apache if it gradually slows down and then stops responding.

If you are not using a bare WPMU, then also check MYSQL for any table locks (though I think WordPress would display a db error if Apache was functioning properly and the db was at fault).

6. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is mod_ssl enabled? It causes memory leaks in Apache2 under certain conditions.

7. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Might also want to run a 'top' from the command line to see where the memory is going to. You should be able to sort it for memory usage. (I believe you can.)

8. Alwyn Botha
    Posted 15 years ago #

I use VPS as well.

Did you check beancounter fails at the time of slowdowns.

Install MUNIN like I did on my VPS.

give VERY nice graphs to help with such issues.

http://www.pageloadtime.com/2009/01/100-000-wordpress-pageviews-page-generation-time/

agree with venturemaker >>>> It's definitely server-side problem(s).

check vps configuration: apache, PHP, mysql, other services running, FREE ( memory ) vmstat, etc.

Alwyn Botha

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by DragonFlyEye
  • Latest reply from Alwyn Botha