The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Is MU a new Product or a WordPress add-on? (7 posts)

1. joeyhavlock
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi Folks,
    Simple and silly question probably...Is MU a separate product or something that requires WordPress already in place in order to work?

I have been using WP for a long time now and have read everything I can find on MU, but still cannot tell if this is something separate or in addition to WP.

Thanks
    joey

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

It's completely separate.

3. xenon2050
    Posted 15 years ago #

Its a separate multi-user blog software with wordpress as its base.

4. halles
    Posted 15 years ago #

and you don't need to install wordpress first. MU has everything inside the package.

5. webmaestro
    Posted 15 years ago #

As andrea_r indicated they are separate products.

WordPress = single blog (ideal for a person or company with a single blog).

WordPressMU = multiple blogs managed via a single installation (ideal implementing a community 'blog' solution for a university, company, etc. where each blogger or group of bloggers wants to retain control of the content of their blog, but multiple blogs are desired).

WordPress MU is the underlying software that powers the WordPress.com hosted blogging service. WordPress MU is also used by newspapers, magazines, blog networks, universities and large companies running corporate blogging systems behind firewalls.

Here're some links:

6. joeyhavlock
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thank you folks, that is exactly what I needed to know. I thought as much, but honestly could not tell from reading the docs or even the forums.

Thank you WP for this, this is EXACTLY what I have been needing for a very long time! Now I am off to build my empire. Happy New Year to All!

Joey

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I think "with wordpress as its base" is what confuses some people.

it's like a fork. someone took single WP and added stuff to it so it makes multiples blogs.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by joeyhavlock
  • Latest reply from andrea_r