The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

subdomain / directory question (12 posts)

1. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

I was getting ready to launch a new site w/ a different blog host script & suddenly it crapped out on me - I couldn't edit or delete blog entries, yada yada yada...

Then I came across this site & I think I'm in love... I'm just worried about the installation based on what I've read regarding subdomains and directory installations.

My current blog host script is installed at http://www.mydomain.com/blog/ w/ a subdomain http://blog.mydomain.com ...Will I be able to keep that structure? Or do I need to install it at the root level? Also, from what I've read and seen on others' sites, when visitors sign up for a blog, they get to choose their subdomain. That's great & ideal, but my host only gives me two subdomains w/ my package. Is this a problem, or is there a way around it?
    Thank you very much! I hope to get the answers I'm looking for and try to get this installed today... I can't believe I wasted so much time w/ that other script (and their support forum is a joke)!
    Thanks,
    Eric

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Check and see if your host will allow virtual subdomains first. Since they are virtual, they don't actually exist on the server, just when pulled from the database.

3. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

For some reason their live help is closed, so I submitted a support ticket to find out. If that's not allowed w/ my current hosting package, what's next?
    I don't want to pay for a better package until I know the site will take off...

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Then you're probably going to have to find a different host. I'm just using a standard simple account that I sell to others for $8 a month. Nothing special about it.

5. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

I checked out asimpleorange.com & they look great, but I worry about being charged more if I go over the bandwidth allotment. My current host lets me get away w/ quite a bit & at $3/mo, it's hard to complain. But if they can't support something that simple, I have no loyalties & I'm glad it didn't get too far. If asimpleorange works out, I'd consider moving more of my sites there, but probably not the ones w/ forums as that would be too much of a headache.
    I'm still waiting on a response to my support ticket from yesterday, which I'm not happy about - their live support supposedly opens in 5min or so, but it was closed for most of yesterday, so who knows...
    Thanks for the responses :)

6. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, it turns out they did respond, but I didn't get an email notification until today (after I logged in and read their response & submitted a second ticket). Their response was that they give me two subdomains. So my second support ticket was for clarification... I've waited a couple hours & still no response, so I cancelled my hosting there & paid for hosting at asmallorange.com.

7. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

So, now I'm set up on asmallorange & installed WordPressMU. I'm getting a bunch of errors (another post) but I'm also having problems w/ the subdomains...
    I created a blog, it provides me the URL, but the subdomain doesn't exist. Do I need to change a setting in cPanel?

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Have you forgotten to get your host to turn on Virtual Domains? (ie the *.mydomain.com thingie?) They have to do it for you as you probably do not have access to DNS within CPanel.

9. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

No, I didn't do that - I thought it would automatically be set up, or something I could do myself. I just submitted a support ticket for that.

...and I apologize for my stupid questions ;)

10. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

I guess I need to reinstall WordPressMU... I'm getting 404 Not Found errors on most of the pages since the virtual domains were enabled, and when I am able to log in, all of the images/style/formatting is gone. I'm also not able to change options, such as my password, due to not sending referrers?

Is there anything else I need to do or set up before I reinstall this?

11. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

How about a link so we can see if it's something else? :)

-drmike

12. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

That would probably help ;)

http://www.ecancerawareness.com/wpmu/

...I just tried creating a new blog & it looks normal so far... subdomain works... if you create an acct, you can see the errors at the bottom that I mentioned in the other thread.

& if/when I reinstall it, I should put it at the root level so people don't have to type "/wpmu/" at the end, right?

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by SactoEric
  • Latest reply from SactoEric