The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Install single installation and mu in same directory? (6 posts)

1. diesel12
    Posted 15 years ago #

Greatly appreciated if anyone can set me straight on this.

Is it possible to set up wordpress mu to post new blogs on sub-domains (blog.domain.com), but use a single wordpress install in the root to power the content on the main domain: http://www.domain.com and then make it so that a sub-folder, say domain.com/community/ is the wordpress mu home page?

Just trying to keep main http://www.domain.com install off of wordpress mu and maintained as a single independent install, if possible.....

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Even if it's in the realm of possible in the loosest interpretation of the world, it's far FAR easier to have it all run under WPMU in the root, and make modifications so the main MU blog acts like the single WP install you had there before.

Are they any really compelling reasons why you want the main blog still run on single WP?

Which, you know, you can do - but to have the signups still come out as blogname.yourdomain.com is the tricky bit. We usually advise against it.

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

domain.com/community/ is the wordpress mu home page

Actually I'm wondering if that would be doable. I could have sworn that we had a discussion way back when where it was possible for the '/blog/' bit of Blog #1 to be removed or changed.

I'm thinking going to Dashboard -> Settings -> Permalink and changing the /blog/ bit to /community/.

Then creating a specific home.php file for the /home theme (For the home theme, the home.php file if found within the theme loads as the home page instead of the blog. See the /home/home.php file for details) that just redirects to domain.com/community/

Just some thought off of the top of my head without any testing. I've wrong before.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well yeah, that bit seems doable. You forgot the bit about have a single WP install in the root as well. :)

5. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Oh, missed that part. I'm off coffee again. :(

6. diesel12
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well it sounds like it would be an uphill battle.... and if I've learned anything it is to work WITH wp not against it... :)

I appreciate your feedback and will have to look at importing content from an existing single install into MU ....

Thank you very much for your feedback and help!!!

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by diesel12
  • Latest reply from diesel12