The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Internal redirect error with missing files (6 posts)

1. DragonFlyEye
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've recently migrated to a Linode.com VPS and had the opportunity to look at log files I never had in the past. I'm noticing that I'm getting the following error message from several pages on the blogs:

[Sun Jan 11 07:04:38 2009] [error] [client 66.249.70.174] Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace.

When I go to these pages and view them with FireBug, I'm noticing that missing files are coming up as 500 Server errors, not 404's. So, I figure there must be some circularity with my .htaccess redirects that's causing this.

Is there some way to regenerate my .htaccess file, in case there's anything wrong with it? Here's the body of the .htaccess file:

# BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*wp-content/plugins.*
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/wp-admin$
    RewriteRule ^(.+)$ /$1/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    <Files async-upload.php>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    </Files>
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress
  2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

There's about 3 or 4 of these threads already. Did you have a chance to review them? There's a possible problem with Donncha's site wide tags plugin running along side buddypress. Other issues as well.

You also copied and pasted a possible solution. Have you tried what the server suggests?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

It;s not your htaccess. :) You can compare it with htaccess.dist if you like, but I want to point out something.

the error message states:

"Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary."

So... increase this. 10 is kinda low.

4. DragonFlyEye
    Posted 15 years ago #

tdjcbe, I understand what an exhausting exercise it is typing into these little reply windows. I understand that having to do this for people who (may or may not) have searched the forums for an answer before asking. What I don't understand is why people insist on saying anything about it when saying nothing would have accomplished as much and saved you the typing.

5. DragonFlyEye
    Posted 15 years ago #

Andrea_r: really? I would have thought that's more than enough. Thing is: it shouldn't be giving me anything other than a 404 for a file that's not there, should it?

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Dragon, you may want to actually reread what I posted. I posted a link to the previous discussions where the error has been discussed. Did you review them? A number of suggestions had been made in those threads. I also made a pair of suggestions. Did you try either one of them? (One of them being the one that Andrea also suggested.)

Oh, and you;re welcome.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by DragonFlyEye
  • Latest reply from tdjcbe