The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Restricting Email Domains For Registration (8 posts)

1. Kerrick
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey there, I'm running a WPMU setup with BuddyPress as a social network for my school, so I've put the school's email domain as the only allowed email for registration in the options. I was wondering, though, how can I put a notice to users that they should use their school email on the registration form?

I know no PHP, but I know HTML and can do some hacking with guidance if necessary.

Thank you in advance!

2. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

If you want to edit the registration form, it is in wp-signup.php in a function called show_user_form.

3. Kerrick
    Posted 15 years ago #

@cafespain: I tried editing that, but the register page didn't change.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Then you put it in the wrong spot, or the page is cached. :) That's the only place where you can put that notice.

5. Kerrick
    Posted 15 years ago #

Here's what it says right now in the file, I've added "SEMO" to the first part and a note about how it needs to be the @semo.edu email to the second. It still isn't showing up at semostudents.com/register when I clear my cache, or view it from another computer. Would WPMU or BP be caching it? Or could there be another file or setting because of BP?

<label for="user_email"><?php _e('SEMO&nbsp;Email&nbsp;Address:') ?></label>
    	<?php if ( $errmsg = $errors->get_error_message('user_email') ) { ?>
    		<p class="error"><?php echo $errmsg ?></p>
    	<?php } ?>
    	<input name="user_email" type="text" id="user_email" value="<?php  echo wp_specialchars($user_email, 1) ?>" maxlength="200" /><br /><?php _e('(This must be a valid @semo.edu email address. We’ll send your password to this address, so <strong>triple-check it</strong>.)') ?>
  6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"Or could there be another file or setting because of BP?"

Um, yeah. Missed that bit.

Check over the BP files for any signup page add-ons.

7. apeatling
    Posted 15 years ago #

bp-core/bp-core-signup.php

8. Kerrick
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thank you so much, it worked! I very much appreciate it.

About this Topic