The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Using Multi Site manager (10 posts)

1. bhargava747
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi

I am a total newbie to wordpress mu. So, I would appreciate all the help I can get.

I installed Wordpress MU. I am storing the blogs in directories as the hosting does not support wildcard domains.

I wanted blogs in the network as blog1.com,blog2.com etc .

I am using multi site manager and used this tutorial for it.

http://www.brilliances.com/multisite-manager-with-wordpress-mu/

However I own a dedicated server with Plesk 8.3 and I do not know how to set the name server to a specific IP. All it asks while setting up a domain name is if I want to set up either

Physical hosting
    Standard forwarding
    Frame forwarding

How do I configure the domain name to get a blog in seperate domains??

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

So, currently you have domain.com/blog1, domain.com/blog2 but you want them to become blog1.com, blog2.com etc?

Actually, AFAIK, multi site manager does another thing. It allows your users to choose a domain where they want their blog to be.

For example, a user can choose between domain1.com/blogname, domain2.com/blogname, etc.

3. bhargava747
    Posted 15 years ago #

yes, I got all that but how do I configure it in Plesk 8.3 in a dedicated server to point it to Site.

All I can setup is

Physical hosting
    Standard forwarding
    Frame forwarding

4. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

What exactly do you need to setup in your Plesk?

5. bhargava747
    Posted 15 years ago #

From what I know.. to create a blog in a seperate domain you have to use Multi Site Manager.

The tutorial suggests that I have to change the name servers to point to the server where the original blog is hosted.

In case of the dedicated server with Plesk, I do not have access to change name servers. I can only host it using physical hosting or forward to a domain.

So, if I forward it, I can only forward to blog.com or blog.com/xx.

Now, to create a new blog as blog1.com.. What do I do ??

I am using sub directories method.

6. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

I do not have access to change name servers.

Ask domain registrar to change nameservers. Or you can do this if your domain registrar provides some kind of domain control panel.

7. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

You need to point the new domain (blog2.com) to your current server (for this you need to edit the DNS for blog2.com and set it to point to your server).

You need to edit your webserver to point blog2.com to your WPMU installation, and then WPMU and multi-site manager does the rest.

It's not really a WPMU or Multi-site manager question. It's a DNS web server question, and the answer is almost the same as if you had asked "I've just bought this cool domain over at godaddy.com, how do I point it at my blog?"

8. thelaw
    Posted 15 years ago #

>>>>You need to edit your webserver to point blog2.com to your WPMU installation, and then WPMU and multi-site manager does the rest.<<<<<

What exactly does this mean? My understanding is that blog2.com is supposed to function as blog2.com just use the WPMU install on blog1.com as content. Essentially the domain is mapped over blog1.com. New in cpanel is parking domains but there is also a redirect portion, which I left empty. All this said, perhaps someone can explain what one is supposed to do regarding the above "mapping" instruction.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

You have to park your new domain on top of your MU install. MU can't do that part for you. The domain needs to know where it's supposed to go.

10. thelaw
    Posted 15 years ago #

>>You have to park your new domain on top of your MU install. MU can't do that part for you. The domain needs to know where it's supposed to go. <<

Andrea - what does this mean? I just used cpanel to "park" my domain and didn't redirect it even though there is an option. Is there anything else I'm missing?

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by bhargava747
  • Latest reply from thelaw