The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Question regarding subdomains? (7 posts)

1. benny148148148
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm about to install WordPress MU with the subdomain option, but have a question regarding subdomains that have already been created prior to the MU install.

I have forums.example.tld already set up, and would like to know if this will affect anything with MU...

1) Once wildcard subdomains are created, can I still create subdomains with non-WPMU content (ie. Forums, News, etc.)...

2) What happens in this situation if somebody tries to create a blog with the username "forums"? Will WPMU recognize that although there is no user with that name, there is a subdomain created already?

I just don't want any conflicts with MU and subdomains unrelated to MU.

Thanks!

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Do a forum search for previous subdomains as there's a required fix for the htaccess file.

Either that or just create the subdomain as a separate account within your hosting software. I know that both CPanel and Direct Admin look at those setups of urls first before going to the parked and addon domains.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

#2 - you can go to site admin -> options and write in a box a list of blog names that are disallowed, like pre-existing subdomains.

4. elgolden
    Posted 15 years ago #

------------
    I have forums.example.tld already set up, and would like to know if this will affect anything with MU...
    -------------

Can someone please answer this one ?

Thanx

5. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Nope, it won't. To be on the safe side I'd add 'forums' to the list of banned names in WPMU.

6. elgolden
    Posted 15 years ago #

So thats mean adding a "*" will not cause conflicts with other existing subdomains in my server ?

7. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

No, it will not :) I have mentioned that it's better to add your existing subdomains as banned names inside WPMU.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by benny148148148
  • Latest reply from VentureMaker