The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Strange Character in RSS fee (6 posts)

1. Woodk1
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi all,
    I've been searching and reading on this, and just want to make sure I do the right thing to correct it.

I am getting the character  in posts, especailly after using question marks or exclamation points.

I've seen different solutions here and at WP, from plugins to deleting the DB_CHARSET(utf-8) statement in the config file, but many of the solutions are over a year old and I want to make sure I do the most recent one, since I am running the most recent install of WPMU.

Is there a solution to this?
    Thanks!

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Make sure the databases are utf8. If they're something else, you;re going to have to convert both the databases as well as the content within them to utf8.

I have a feeling that they're set to something else and that's what's causing the issue.

What charset are the databases set to?

deleting the DB_CHARSET(utf-8) statement in the config file

I would put that back. It should be set to utf8.

Have you also looked at the rss feeds itself to see if the character is present.

By the way, specifics and links help. You mention rss feeds but your post talks about posts so I'm not 100% clear what's occurring.

3. Woodk1
    Posted 15 years ago #

AHA!....I think that might be it, but I'm going to have my host double check it - I think it's set to "English-ISO8859-1" if that's the setting I'm supposed to change?

4. Woodk1
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, one of two things: I dont know if my host knows what they are talking about, because they are saying I'm running Latin 1, when I clearly see in phpmyadmin the English ISO setting. Can anyone tell me exactly where this setting is, and if it's ok to change it? My host is saying they don't think it can be changed once it's set (!?!).
    Thanks!

5. Woodk1
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, this is getting deeper and deeper...lol.

Looking at MYSQL notes, it says this:

Suppose that table t has a non-binary column named col1 defined as CHAR(50) CHARACTER SET latin1 but you want to convert it to use utf8 so that you can store values from many languages. The following statement accomplishes this:
    ALTER TABLE t MODIFY col1 CHAR(50) CHARACTER SET utf8;

Anyone know which table(s) to modify and if this is possible? Anyone done it before?
    Thanks!

6. Woodk1
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hmmm....could the fix be this easy?

I took at look at the shtml page that I have the rss feed code on, and in the header, it had this:

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1">

I changed it to this:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

I reuploaded the shtml page, and the character is fixed!

Hope that helps somebody!

About this Topic