The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WordPress Video Solution Framework for WPMU (78 posts)

1. unsalkorkmaz
    Posted 14 years ago #

well.. there must be a guide for "small mu sites" which want to use
    WordPress Video Solution Framework for WPMU in a single server :-/
    i tried my best.. still have problems

2. parkstreet
    Posted 14 years ago #

@unsalkorkmaz, What kind of issues are you having?

3. rohan_kapoor
    Posted 14 years ago #

Parkstreet: you want to publish your information now, please?

4. rohan_kapoor
    Posted 14 years ago #

Edit: I managed to the get the transcoding functionality working but don't see what I'm supposed to edit or where...

Want to help me?

5. parkstreet
    Posted 14 years ago #

I will try to get the information up tonight. If the transcoder is working, then there is nothing else to do except upload a video and let the server do its thing.

6. anointed
    Posted 14 years ago #

Has there been a 'front-end' template system built for displaying the videos that are uploaded and converted, or a backend to manage the video's like we do with posts?

I have a few other software pieces that are 'youtube' clones, some free some cost thousands, and they are all kind of like wordpress for video. You can give each video tags/descriptions/categories/ order them, comment on them etc...

Does anything at all exist for wpmu like that yet?

imho that is one of the huge missing pieces to wpmu.

I had to go out and spend crazy amounts of money to get a video cdn server setup so that I can manage all of my customers videos bw/storage/adds etc.. (using flash comm server clusters with cdn).

Unfortunately I am still looking at $$$$$ to fully integrate it with wpmu so the experience is seamless.

Either I'm missing a huge new wpmu world out there for video, or wpmu is severely lacking in this reguard.

It seems amazing to me that you can download a free script like phpmotion and have a full blown video transcoding/flash streaming cms, yet wpmu has no solution that I can find. (I'm not advocating phpmotion.. it sucks and is in no way commercially viable, just using it as an example).

7. parkstreet
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok, I finally got the post up. This is a working document (due to the fact of getting it up quickly), so things will eventually be updated and changed as questions arise.

http://www.technologydigest.us/blog/featured/wordpress_video_framework_solution.html

8. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

Bookmarked!

9. chaoman
    Posted 14 years ago #

I believe many of you have the same question like I have. I setup a virtual server on top of a Windows 2003 as a dedicated FFMPEG server and the video-verify-ffmpeg.php generated a successful message. My question is, what is next? I am confused on the file server and transcoding server URLs. Let's say if I want to have the file server on a windows 2003 server and the transcoding server is the virtual Debian box, what should I do? Any comment is appreciated.

10. raf_siliconvalley
    Posted 14 years ago #

@chaoman: I have it working on WPMU using the latest release (1.0). There are still a few rough edges and I hope to submit some patches to clean it up. Re: your question, I'm not using Windoze, but there should be no reason it shouldn't work --- the transcoding is basically a series of HTTP posts between the servers (or even on the same box). So HTTP abstracts away the platform differences. As long as you can build and run ffmpeg on Debian, it should be fine. I hope to post some EC2 AMIs with a running system in the next couple days. If enough people want it, I can do a Windows example, too, just for kicks! We use GoGrid for Windows VMs in the rare cases we need it.

@anointed: We have been using other video servers and the downside is they aren't tightly integrated with the categories, tags, the loop, SEO attributes, etc. so you end up having to have all sorts of custom meta data sprinkled about. We eventually created our own shortcode so that videos from our 3rd party video server could be embedded in posts. But still you end up having to maintain 2 disparate databases, 2 disparate URL schemes, 2 disparate load scripts, etc. A nightmare! I am actively working on the Auttomatic framework as it represents the tightest integration of videos with WP. (Videos are just shortcodes in posts, but are maintained in the media library.) After over a year and 1M+ users using tape and glue, I can absolutely positively say DON'T try maintaining separate servers if at all possible! It's too much of a headache, even if some video projects do have more/better features.

I will post the diffs to Hailin for the latest 1.0 code and hopefully that will help get WPMU support solid. Would appreciate anyone who can QA :)

I am adding some other features like pay-per-view and iPhone video support, which we hope to contribute back into the source base, too, at some point.

11. raf_siliconvalley
    Posted 14 years ago #

follow up - I now have a hacked version of 1.0 that I could use testers for...it's not production ready, but please pm me and I'll send you a zip

r o b e r t -at- m o t i v e p a t h <.> c-o-m

12. anointed
    Posted 14 years ago #

@raf - I went ahead and sent an email for the beta.

I'm still not really clear what it is that you are working on though. Maybe you could explain a little more about your project to spur on more interest?

To answer your reply to me:
    I use 3rd party software because the media gallery for wordpress does not support rtmp flash servers. Meaning, that if a user uploads an flv video, instead of just putting it in the blogs media folder, it should be placed into the flash server content directory.

I'm actually a little shocked that even wordpress.com itself does not utilize rtmp servers. I'm guessing that as time goes by they will implement it though as the benefits to both wordpress.com and the viewer are huge when using rtmp.

13. ccolvin
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm testing this on a Ubuntu vm and I get the following error:

/usr/bin/ffmpeg: Permission denied

I can download the video and reencode it from the command line but can't through the php file. Any ideas?

14. parkstreet
    Posted 14 years ago #

@ccolvin, not sure. Can you paste the permissions of that file?

15. ccolvin
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've tried all sorts of permissions, but here's what it is currently...

drwxr-xr-x 15 root root <stamps> ffmpeg

Stamps is of course size and times.

What are the processing times like? Doing the baby.wmv video from the command line takes seconds, but the progress indicator through the website says 5 hours?

16. zitron
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi.
    I install the framework in wpmu.
    The video_verify_ffmpeg is ok : Congratulations! ffmpeg is installed correctly.
    But When i upload any video format the script convert it but after i have the player with this message in the screen:

"Error
    This video you uploaded is encoded incorrectly, so we are unable to process it. Please try using a standard format (.avi, .mp4, .m4v, .mov, .wmv,.mpg), or different encoding software."

Can you help me.

Thank you.

17. parkstreet
    Posted 14 years ago #

@ccolvin, don't know why the transcoding time shows up differently on different servers, but it only takes seconds to transcode to standard. It can take anywhere between 10-15 minutes to transcode HD.

@zitron, what do your error logs say and what files if any are created.

Also, I am very bad with remembering to check this forum, so please feel free to email me: josh[at]joshparker[dot]us

18. dbcohen
    Posted 14 years ago #

Anyone had any luck converting videos created with the iPhone and have them get converted correctly? I keep getting told the videos aren't encoded correctly, however I have no problem with uploading the videos onto youtube or facebook

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by politicalbear
  • Latest reply from dbcohen