The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Is this hack possible? (8 posts)

1. benny148148148
    Posted 15 years ago #

Let's assume I run example.com, and have WordPress MU installed in example.com/blogs with new blogs going into subdomains (ie. username.example.com/blogs).

Is it possible to have the main MU install in the /blogs directory, but remove the /blogs suffix from the user's sites so their sites just show up as username.example.com without the /blogs? I would provide a link from the main page to the /blogs page allowing users to sign up.

I realize I could simply accomplish this by putting MU in the root directory, but unfortunately the way my current site is set up it would be difficult to implement MU. However, I still like the look and feel of username.example.com.

Please help! :)

2. benny148148148
    Posted 15 years ago #

Due to the lack of responses in this thread, I'm going to assume that the idea above is not possible (which is what I thought, but I figured I'd throw it out there.)

This brings me to plan B...Which I believe is somewhat manageable, but I just want to make sure before I make the transition to MU.

I will set up MU in the root folder with subdomains enabled, and transition my current theme in Wordpress to MU. I will add a link to "create a blog" but I don't want anything else "MU" related on the front page.

Now here's where I'm not sure if my idea is feasible...For the main "blog" page, I'll create an MU user named "blogs", so the page "blogs.example.tld" is valid. I'll make the "blogs" user an administrator and on that page I'll insert the "create a blog" link, along with all the useful premium plugins from wpmudev.org. I'll make the blogs.example.tld theme similar to the edublogs front page (with my own customizations of course :), and provide a link from example.tld to blogs.example.tld.

So what does all this work accomplish? Well for me, I'd like to keep my current home page as similar to what it is now as possible, however I still love the "community" aspect that MU provides, and love the plugins like the "recently updated blogs," "recent comments," etc. With the blogs.example.tld page, users can go their for the community aspect, but still have their own username.example.tld too.

If this makes sense to anybody, please let me know if it sounds possible.

Thanks!

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Your second idea is entirely possible, as it's all theme-related. There's no rule (or code :D ) that says you *have* to have MU stuff on the main page.

4. benny148148148
    Posted 15 years ago #

Awesome! Now the only thing I'm concerned about was that I thought I read somewhere that blog_id #1 was coded as the site admin, or something like that...

Do you foresee any issues with blog_id #2 essentially being the MU Admin?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Um, the site admin is tied to blog #1 by default. They can get in *anywhere*. If you make blog #2 from the backend, then it's also your blog.

And you can get in to user's blogs as well.

6. benny148148148
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sorry, I promise this is the last question...When you say "If you make blog #2 from the backend, then it's also your blog," what exactly do you mean?

Thanks again for your help!!!

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Then the admin is the "owner" of the blog.

Have you poked around the backend of MU at all yet? :D

8. benny148148148
    Posted 15 years ago #

No not yet, I've just browsed through the code...I'm planning on installing it today...I just wanted to be sure that my goals for the site were possible with MU before I made the transition...now that I know they are I'm ready to roll! :)

Thanks so much again for your help!

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by benny148148148
  • Latest reply from benny148148148