The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Deleting Blogs (HELP!) (8 posts)

1. chowanec
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey all,

MontySpam ran out on me and I now have like 300-400 splogs. I can't select all blogs in a view with the checkbox at the header in the admin panel...

Is there a way, through CLI or otherwise to compare the blog creation date with the latest update date/time and if they are the same, delete the blog?

I'm desperate -- I hate having chaff in a database that really is used by three people. :P

I checked WPMUdev.org to see if there was an admin plugin to help. but I found nothing.

Help?

-Chow

2. t3ch33
    Posted 15 years ago #

I don't know of a plugin, but you can just use your admin panel. Go to wp-admin/wpmu-blogs.php and look at the last updated and registered columns. Check off the blog that you *think* are splogs (they aren't necessarily splogs just because they have the same reg and last updated date-maybe they just haven't posted yet?)...then, use the delete button to mass delete them.

Right now, I think it's only set up to list 15 blogs at a time. If you edit wp-admin/wpmu-blogs.php and search for 15, that will take you to the line where you can change how many blogs are displayed. I just changed mine to 100 to test it and it loaded in about 2 seconds. Good luck.

3. chowanec
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for the reply... :) Generally, and you totally could be right and I could be ignoring the all encompassing power of the internets, but I do 0 advertising or promotion for my MU site. It's just a place for me and some friends to host blogs about our kids...

Oh, and the 300 splogs showed up about 1-2 days AFTER MontySpam expired.

And to make matters worse, I have to individually click on the blog's checkbox for each of the 300 splogs... I'm just hoping to find a faster way.

Then again, if I didn't reply to this, I probably could have deleted 25 of them... :)

Thanks again.

-Chow

4. t3ch33
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, you could just do a query yourself. Are you familiar with PHP? I'm not too familiar with the structure of WPMU to give you the actual query, but I think it *may* involve:

1-selecting the registered and last_updated fields
    2-comparing the two dates and if equal,
    3-change the fields spam and deleted to a the appropriate values and delete each individual table for the blogs (this is the part that I am really unsure of-you should ask a developer what is involved in deleting or marking a blog as spam).

Good luck.

5. leisegang
    Posted 15 years ago #

i use recaptcha to not get splogs works great!

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

faster deleting via admin:

on each screen of X many, check all and just skim down and UNcheck the legit ones. Usually on pages with more slogs than real, this is the best way.

Yes, I've had to wade thru a few hundred before, and a highly conentrated half-hour will fix you right up. :D

7. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

One thing to check is that we've noticed that 90% of our splog attempts are coming from a small number of IP addresses. YOu may want to review what IP addresses these are and go ahead and block them.

There's a tread on this topic although the addresses may be out of date. Doing a search for either 'ip address splog' or 'rackshack block' will probably find it.

8. deepcell
    Posted 14 years ago #

JUST DO THE FOLLOW:
    SELECT THE FIRST CHECKBOX, AFTER PRESS SHIFT, THEN SELECT THE NEXT ONE, NOW HOLD YOUR BAR TO THE END AND THEN SELECT THE LAST CHECKBOX.. NOW YOU HAVE ALL OF THEM SELECTED... THAT'S ALL, THE END OF DISCUSSION.

:) DON'T FORGET SHIFT, WHEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPEND, WHATEVER APPLICATION YOU ARE USING..

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by chowanec
  • Latest reply from deepcell