The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

84 queries in 1.467 seconds. (13 posts)

1. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

My front page makes 84 queries in 1.467 seconds when it opens. It used to be up to 200, so I went through an eliminated a bunch of plugins.

It all seems to load faster.

Still, is that too many?

(I'm trying to Fix as many problems as possible prior to WPMU 2.7 roll out).

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Check how loaded your MySQL is.
    Is this too many or not... Comparing to what? :)
    If your MySQL behaves well - you're good to go.
    X queries in Y seconds isn't really an indicator to make any judgements.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Eh, it's okay. About average. (as in, figuring an average blog)

That timer query itself will slow down the page, so once you've made all the tweaks, take it out.

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

heh. Putting the queue into page source instead of making it visible may be a plus as well. Not with the time it takes for the page to display but you may get someone who comes along with a "1.467 seconds?!?! Man, you suck!" type complaint.

84 queries does seem high to me though. Especially since you;re really not doing any sort of major lists like a top ten.

Are you doing any sort of caching? At the very least considering putting in the file cache or wp-super-cache with just the wp-cache turned on.

It does load fairly quickly for me though.=

edit: I do note one problem. Using Firefox 3.0.something, when the five tab window is on Video, the Citizen Journalism Handbook drop down menu falls behind the youtube video. Don't know how to fix it but I did want to point it out to you.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"Using Firefox 3.0.something, when the five tab window is on Video, the Citizen Journalism Handbook drop down menu falls behind the youtube video. Don't know how to fix it but I did want to point it out to you. "

z-index:1; in the css on that element. Just figured this out this week for someone else.

well, yeah, 84 is high in terms of optimizing, but 'average" in terms of the average blog out there. :)

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks Andrea. Had to run off.

I do note there's no statement of caching in the html outputted which is why i suggested that. I know that Donncha's plugin adds in a line saying so.

7. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

andrea-R: Is this something I need to fix? I'mnot able to duplicate theproblem.

And I think most of the excess querries are coming from the AHP Sitewide Recent Posts plugin, the output of which is loading below the tabbed content. I'll replace the stuff in the sidebar with hard coding, reducing some of the queries.

8. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

OH, I'm running the "Optimal Title" plugin, to.Also not needed once the upgrade to 2.7 happens.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"Is this something I need to fix? "

Nah, it's a nitpicky thing.

10. seahawknationblog
    Posted 15 years ago #

So you say 84 is optimal, well i have just over 400 database queries and my page load is .500 on average, Is this GOOD??

KMy site loads fast for me, but users i dont know?

11. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, loading time and amount of queries are 2 different indicators.

For example, you have 100 users (blogs) and loading time will be 0.5 with 400 queries, but should you get 1500 blogs - the time many increase to something like 1.5 with the same 400 queries.

Anyway, I would say that 400 queries is quite a lot.

12. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

1.467 sucks. there you go.
    depends on the server you are on...

i.e. if you have a root server with lets say 150 apache children, that means you can server about 150 visitors your main page in 1.467 seconds...

If I have a smaller server with 25 apache children running, serving a site within 0.33 seconds that means I can serve 75 visitors my main page in 1 second...

try wp tuner that plugin will give you a lot more insights in what is happening when your page load.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by billdennis5
  • Latest reply from andrea_r