The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

If user gets an error bc post is not there, show similar posts (5 posts)

1. t3ch33
    Posted 15 years ago #

Lets say that a visitor clicks a link to a post, but that post's url has been changed. Is there a plugin that will recognize that this has happened and show similar posts that match the post name/post slug that shows in the address bar? It can't be a plugin that makes the blog owner manually type the keywords or anything extra when they're publishing the post. Thanks.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

How has the post URL been changed? Someone manually tweaked it, or the permalinks were changed?
    Where is the hypothetical link that the visitor is clicking? Within the blog or on another site?

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Actually I could have sworn that forwarding was now built in. This was one of the points a wp developer made when they were going after the Movable Type team a few months ago.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, it *is* now built it, which I why I asked so many specific questions. :)

If you change the slug on a post, everything internally linking to the post changes too. Which makes the above scenario pretty much impossible if the visitor clicks on a link within the blog.

5. t3ch33
    Posted 15 years ago #

the link is already indexed. i had to add a word to the post slug; i added it to the very end of the post slug. now, that post goes to an error page. i have a wordpress blog that will redirect users to a post with a similar url, so i'm not sure why this is happening-especially since it was the very end of the slug that was changed.

i just upgraded, too. do you think that's the problem or does wpmu not support this function?

About this Topic