The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Mutisite doesn't work on virtual hosts (4 posts)

1. thelaw
    Posted 15 years ago #

I tried to use the multisite plugin and setup my site like many others but have been unsuccessful. The goal being several blogs on mydomain.com and blogs mapped to another domain, e.g. mydomain.com/sports appears on sports.com and mydomain.com/news appears on news.com. Here are the problems I've encountered:

I installed the multisite plugin and placed the sunrise.php file in wp-content directory. I commented out the lines in the wp-config.php file and ended up with the following error when trying to use the administration panel:

Sorry, domain mapping only works on virtual host installs

Let's assume we get past this point. I'm hosting the other domains on the same server. I have a WHM/Cpanel install so what I need to do should be simple. Has anyone set this up before and can provide simple to follow instructions? It seems like much of the guides aren't complete and don't include how to deal with the above issue. MANY thanks in advance.

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

So, the only thing you want to do is making blog mydomain.com/sports work on sports.com?

If yes - go to backend -> Site Admin -> Blogs -> Edit <blog in question>.

There you'll see blog URL and other settings.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"Sorry, domain mapping only works on virtual host installs"

This error only shows up in Donncha's Domain Mapping plugin.

The Multi-Site manager is a different plugin.

4. thelaw
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks guys - I installed Multi-Site manager. Put in the domain in the back end and BOOM. I'm now nailed with this and am in a bit of a state of shock.

No WPMU site defined on this host. If you are the owner of this site, please check Debugging WPMU for further assistance.

Removing the plugin doesn't remedy the problem. Removing the parked domains still results in the same problem. This is bad... The instructions I had were here:

http://www.brilliances.com/multisite-manager-with-wordpress-mu/

After further review and deleting all references of the second site I cloned I still can't get the home page to show up properly. That was the main blog and it's just blank. I'd change it if I could login to the back end but cannot.

OK... I've reuploaded the wp-config.php and that did the trick for anyone wondering. This was downright terrifying. I'm glad that I backed everything up first.

So perhaps someone can give me the blow by blow - what is going on here? Perhaps someone has experience and has seen this before. I'd HATE to have this happen again and lose everything!!!!

About this Topic