The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Problem with Donncha's Site Wide Tags (5 posts)

1. grandslambert
    Posted 15 years ago #

In an effort to save everyone here a lot of time and headache, I found a "feature" of the Site Wide Tags plugin that caused me said headache. I have a WPmu installation with 15 blogs other than the main blog and the tags blog (so figure 17 total). 14 of the 15 blogs were posting their posts to the tags blog without a problem, but one was not. It was driving me NUTS and causing me to spin my wheels.

The problem: Blog 15 had it's privacy setting to block search engines. Apparently the Site Wide Posts plugin looks at this and if it is set doesn't add the post to the tags blog. Turning it to a "public" blog and editting an old post made it work.

Not sure if I would call that an "undocumented feature" or a "bug", but hopefully I will remember this for future blogs. :)

2. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

It would be an "undocumented feature" because people that have blogs they don't want search engine "spidered" would then have their posts in the TAGS blog with an undesired result if it did put the private blog posts in. I would imagine it just wants to replicate the "users" wishes ;)

Trent

3. grandslambert
    Posted 15 years ago #

Makes sense to me. Just wish it was a "documented" feature, because of course it is a great feature, but would have saved me some time. I read through the Readme.txt and all the pages for the plugin on wordpress.org to see if I could find anything, but nothing was there. Great plugin of course, just gotta remember how to use it. :)

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

It *is* documented. The privacy checkbox clearly states "to keep out Google, robots, and from other public listings around the site.

See: Options -> Privacy.

5. grandslambert
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sure, I understand that for the tags blog, makes sense. But that doesn't really translate to say that other blogs set to private will not have their posts added to the tags blog. If it did, I would never have had to start this thread.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by grandslambert
  • Latest reply from grandslambert