The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WordPress MU 2.7 and fetch_rss (6 posts)

1. djzone
    Posted 15 years ago #

Since I upgraded to WordPress 2.7 MU RSS Widgets stopped working, on every blog.

Of course I did all the tricks, restarting webserver, disabling super-cache, reactivating, purging cache folder, etc.

I've even looked into WP_Http class, then I found out every curl request came back with FALSE. So I had to downgrade back to 2.6.5, and now all RSS widgets work again...

I'm using
    nginx 0.6.32
    php 5.2.6
    php-fpm

Any ideas?

2. grandslambert
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sounds like curl isn't getting outside your server. Could be due to a firewall setting or something. Not sure what changed from 2.6.5 to 2.7 but will try to research a bit more for you.

3. webmaestro
    Posted 15 years ago #

I don't know if this'll help, but I had a similar issue when upgrading from 1.5.1 to 2.6.1. As a result, RSS feeds and wp-cron (used for future posting and more) stopped working.

The problem turned out to be exacerbated by the fact that a number of my users had 'recursive' RSS widgets in their sidebar (RSS feeds for blogs , cats, and tags hosted within the same WPMU installation). Our load balancer doesn't allow those 'loopback' HTTP requests (HTTP requests which loop back to itself). Outbound and inbound HTTP requests to other servers/domains worked fine.

If WordPress would execute those types of 'requests' in straight PHP, instead of making HTTP requests back to itself, I suspect it wouldn't be an issue, and minimize data transfers. I've made a couple of TRAC entries to the WPMU and WP TRACs, but I'm concerned it's entered 'the buck doesn't stop here' zone...

4. djzone
    Posted 15 years ago #

grandslambert,
    okay, but how come, that 2.6.5 works, and 2.7 does not? :)
    On the other hand, rss feeds are mainly from other blog from the same MU install :)

webmaestro,
    thank you for the hints I'll look throught, them :)

5. grandslambert
    Posted 15 years ago #

As I stated, I don't know what changed from 2.6.5 to 2.7. I had planned to look at code last night to see what changed, but ended up reading a book to my daughter. :) I was just looking at it and really don't see what would have changed to make this not work in 2.7, sorry.

6. djzone
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, as far as I see, the new WP_Http class introduced at wp-includes/http.php. The Http API is the brand new feature of 2.7 branch, but seems buggy...

About this Topic