The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Without mod_rewrite (13 posts)

1. fralenuvol
    Posted 17 years ago #

I would like to switch from b2evolution to wordpress mu.
    The only (big) problem is I have no mod_rewrite on my server.

Is there a workaround or or other possibility to use Wordpress mu without mod_rewrite?

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm afraid that without mod_rewrite (or equivelant) your pretty much dead in the water as far as WPMU goes.

3. petiteproxy
    Posted 17 years ago #

Although Wordpress MU states everywhere that before installing WPMU mod_rewrite module should be on the server during install, I went ahead an installed it without checking and WPMU installed fine. Does this mean I have the mod_rewrite module? And how do I double-check? I've check the php.info file and see nothing about mod_rewrite. Am I not looking in the right place?

BTW-What are "fancy URLs"? I never seen that in WP admin panel. Do they mean 'custom structures' option?

WPMU Requirements..."Apache mod_rewrite - if you had WP installed already with fancy URLs then you should be fine."

FYI-I'm a new to Wordpress MU, but have used Wordpress.

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Fancy URLs are those URLs for the posts that include the date and the name of the post, not the normal numerical post URLs that normally would occur.

You're also probably going to have problems with subdomains. I beliebe rewrites are required for those as well.

5. nexia
    Posted 17 years ago #

Mod-rewrite is not only a must to run MU, it's obligatory... without it, any url configuration will fail.

if your host does not have mod-rewrite, request it, or change to a up-to-date host... they all do it actually.

6. petiteproxy
    Posted 17 years ago #

That still doesn't tell me how or where to check if mod_write is on my server.

7. nexia
    Posted 17 years ago #

oh,.. lol... it's easy:

create a file named like info.php with your editor, and the only thing you put in it will be:
    <?php phpinfo(); ?>

and then you close/save the file and upload it to your server.

browse that file, like yoursite.com/info.php

and it will display a load of infos... you search for the 5th block, named "apache" -- maybe 4 if you don't have Zend Optimizer on...

in the "Loaded Modules" part, you will see mod_rewrite somewhere in the list... if it is, you have it!

... btw, you can search the page instead.. :)

8. petiteproxy
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks All for your help. I tried all methods, even the info.php method. No mod-rewrite info appeared on the page. I ended up emailing my host and they said that by default it is on for all websites they host, but there is just no way for me to tell. I'm not sure why.

9. nexia
    Posted 17 years ago #

it can't be active if it's not displayed in the technique i told you ... anyway...

i just visit your site, your bureaux is using mod_rewrite... what's the problem on not-using it for your WP installation ??

10. petiteproxy
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh, bureaux is fine, it's lop.frecklesstudio.com that I can't check to see if mod-rewrite is on. (BTW-The install was fine but I've been plagued with error in registering, activation key urls etc...) That's why I want to isolate the problem and make sure it is not the mod-rewrite bit.

11. jowie
    Posted 17 years ago #

hi there,

I've just been having the same issue... Putting the phpinfo thing in doesn't tell me anything about Apache!

http://www.jowie.net/info.php

Is there any other way to tell if I have mod_rewrite on the server?

Thanks!

12. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd contact your host and ask them.

13. ipeat
    Posted 16 years ago #

If I uncomment rewrite_module in httpd.conf Apache fails to restart is there something I am missing? I checked and the the rewrite module is in the module folder.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by fralenuvol
  • Latest reply from ipeat