The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Advice needed: can I do this with MU? (7 posts)

1. sethlong
    Posted 15 years ago #

My company is looking for a blogging solution for our 35 newspaper web sites. We want 2 levels of blogs: newspaper-specific and region-wide. That means that a newspaper site will have its own blogs that are specific to just that site but will also show blogs from the region, which show on all newspaper sites. Each of these categories should be further divided between staff and community blogs.

Is MU capable of handling this setup? I was hoping to use a single instance of MU to do the entire job but it's looking like we might need separate instances running for each newspaper site and one for the region-wide blogs. This would make managing the sites quite complex but it might still be acceptable.

I'm looking for any advice you might have about MU's capabilities in this regard. Thank you.

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

You might want to check this: http://wpmu.org/wpmu-enterprise/

But you might also want to play with domain mapping and blog types - search for these things here on the forum.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yep, multiples sites offering multiple blogs running off one MU install. Can be done.

have a look at the multi site manager plugin too.

4. xenon2050
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah definitely doable. Just will be a bit of work since you'll have to setup all the templates and those will probably be the most time consuming portion. But like Andrea said, check out the multi site manager plugin http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Multi-Site-Manager

5. sethlong
    Posted 15 years ago #

WPMU Enterprise looks interesting but the d/l links are busted.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

7. streetlevelnetwork
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi all....

I am the owner of a small social networking site that I have had developed over the last year.... We are missing some key bits like Blogs and I wanted to know if WordpressMU would allow me to add the functionality for each user to add multiple blogs and customize them.

Each user is given a custom URL at present..... streetlevelnetwork.com/sam etc....

Please let me know if this is possible and the best way to get this moving...

I have had a look through the FAQ and could not see something relating to social networking sites so thought I would ask

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by sethlong
  • Latest reply from streetlevelnetwork