The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WAMP and MU (5 posts)

1. yongchoi
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am thinking about setting up Wordpress MU on WAMP (Windows Server 2003, Apache, Mysql and Php). Has anyone else done this for a production environment?

Are there any reasons against doing this? Should I be installing Wordpress MU on LAMP instead?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, you should install MU on a LAMP server. It was not made for a Windows server. Only use it if you're stuck.

3. williamsba1
    Posted 15 years ago #

I run WPMU networks on a WAMP with no problems. MU is not built for a specific OS, neither is Apache, PHP, or MySQL so yes it will work on a Windows server.

4. grandslambert
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have tested WordPress MU on many platforms, including WAMP (Windows XP and Vista) and MAMP (Mac) and it runs beautifully on every platform.

However, I have seen that it does seem to run better on a LAMP stack. BUT, my LAMP box did not run any kind of GUI like Windows or OSX on the other boxes, so that is likely the cause of the performance differences.

For the record, all of my production servers are LAMP - I did this all as a test in case someone wanted it on something other than Linux. :)

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, I know it *can* be setup on windows, but the OP was asking which server he should pick from the outset.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by yongchoi
  • Latest reply from andrea_r