The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

If you had to pick a new defaut theme ... (12 posts)

1. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

... which would it be?

Hey, don't get me wrong. I like Kubrick. But, let's face it, that old gal has, shall we say, been around the block a few times.

I'd like to use something that:

Works well with Buddy Press admin bar and widgets
    Lets users upload new headers
    Gives users LOTS of options.
    Is mostly css based, not image based.
    Is uncluttered in design.

2. tanvir
    Posted 15 years ago #

this topic was discussed previously on http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=5885

3. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

tanvir, what was discussed earlier - default content for newly created blogs :)

Bill, I'd like to see answers to your question as well ;) Currently I'm not aware of such theme. The mail 'stumbling stone' is BP support in theme. At least from what I know...

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

If it;s a new default theme for WP across the board, you have to drop the BP requirements. :)

On other blogs where I've seen this posed, many people suggest Sandbox.

Heck, *anything* is better than kubrick. Its time is long past.

5. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

Really? I went though all my themes and made sure the BuddyPress admin bar and at least one of the sidebar plugins worked. If not, I removed the theme.

6. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

Let me throw a theme out there for discussion: K2.

7. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

K2 is too hard as a basic theme. We're working on separating the themes into Basic and Advanced ones for those with options.

I think most of our installs just use Kubrick but with the sidebar on each page.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

K2 is old news. :D

I want to see a basic theme, choice of 1 sidebar or 2, on the right or left or both (if 2), a custom header, a changeable background and widgetized.

With that, a user can do a lot - even on a regualr WP install.

(why YES I do happen to be making a theme like that...someday)

9. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

andrea_r: You WILL be releassing that soon, right?

;-)

And Mandigo seems to fit your definition, but I can't use it without massive issues.

10. thehermit
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey billdennis5,

I would like to hear more about the Massive issued with Mandigo because I am trying to get that to work now.

11. timmy77
    Posted 15 years ago #

"why YES I do happen to be making a theme like that...someday"

andrea,
    If you make that theme supportive of rtl languages - like Kubrick - it would be very nice and helpful.

BTW, what do you guys think of this theme:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/inove
    I have no criteria to know exactly if a wp theme works with wpmu except to see if the theme is widget ready! This theme "inove" is widget ready with multiple language files and rtl css. Thus, I intend to use it as a default theme for new users, for it is also elegant and looks professional.
    Very few themes out there have support for RTL languages, so I will pick "inove".

Did anyone here use it on wpmu, and do you think it is a good idea to set it as default?

12. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

Okay: K2 failed miserably. What about Alex King's new toy Carrington?

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by billdennis5
  • Latest reply from billdennis5