The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Registration is not working. (6 posts)

1. worldblogosphere
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi,

I have been reading a bit and have checked to make sure registration is activated, but it isn't showing anything for registration.

Site Admin > Options
    I have "Enabled. Blogs and user accounts can be created checked.

when I log out there is no "Register link in the "meta" navigation where Login is. when I click Login it only shows the login box, a remember me check box, and a link for forgotten password.

I did see a few people mention a wp_register.php file. I don't see that anywhere within my WP-MU installation. Is that supposed to be in there somewhere? If so, where?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Gene :-)

2. grandslambert
    Posted 15 years ago #

The correct file for signups and new blogs is wp-signup.php. I don't think this link will appear in the Meta section - you have to add it somewhere in your template or posts.

A little trick I just verified works:

1. Create a folder in your MU installation called "register".
    2. Copy the file "wp-signup.php" to your new register folder and name it "index.php".
    3. Edit the new "register/index.php" file on lines 4 and 8 so they can locate the required files.
      • Line 4 should read require('../wp-load.php');
      • Line 8 should read require('../wp-blog-header.php');
    4. Save the file
    5. Create a page in your main blog called "Register" so it gets the slug "register". You can name it whatever you want, but it has to have a slug that matches the folder you created. The page does not need to have any content
    6. Check your blog for a "Register" link in your navigation

I just did this on a test blog using WPMU 2.7. :)

3. worldblogosphere
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi Bert,

Thanks! wp_signup.php is there. Kind of odd, you would think something like that would be built in to show once you enabled it. Well at least I would.

Any idea where I can edit the Meta section? I mean other than changing the name of it in the widget area. Ideally I would like to remove the RSS links since I will be setting up the site with Feedburner shortly. Maybe I could slip in a Register link while there.

Thanks,

You added on while I was responding. I am about to try that. by the way, please define "slug" for me while I attempt it.

4. worldblogosphere
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi Bert,

OK, that didn't work for me for some reason. I have a blank Register page, but it is blank, and doesn't show anything on the main page.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"Kind of odd, you would think something like that would be built in to show once you enabled it."

When you first install MU, it shows right on the home page.

6. worldblogosphere
    Posted 15 years ago #

Oh, so it went away after I switched the theme? I thought it was strange that it wouldn't be there by default.

Thanks Andrea

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by worldblogosphere
  • Latest reply from worldblogosphere