The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Attempting installation - Website cannot be displayed... (5 posts)

1. skeegan
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi

I am very very very new to any of this world and trying to install Wordpress mu to test for our small business. I am installing to my machine before transferring to a online hosting service.

I have installed Apache, PHP and MySQL and now looking to run Wordpress mu installation. I get to the first installation page and after entering Database, Server & Site details, it says "The website cannot display the page..."

Any ideas if this is my error or the site?

2. grandslambert
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sounds to me like an error in your setup - I have seen this on incorrectly configured Apache servers but never with WordPress. Support for setting up Apache servers is beyond the scope of this forum though.

To be sure it's apache, create a dummy php file in the root of your server, called index.php with the following:

<php
    phpinfo();
    ?>

If that gives the same error, it's definetly server setup issues. If it provides information about you PHP install, then it's something with the WordPress files.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"I am installing to my machine before transferring to a online hosting service."

Since the process is slightly different for installing it to your local desktop (which is likely windows or maybe a mac), and you;re new to this, I'd suggest you save yourself some headaches and install it on your webhost first.

make sure you get a linux-based account.

4. skeegan
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks Andrea. I'm attempting to do this now and seems to be fine except the wordpress installation site itself seems to be down...

5. skeegan
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am now getting a fatal error when attempting installation -

Fatal error: Call to undefined function add_action() in /home/fhlinux137/t/thechangemanagementgroup.com/user/htdocs/wpmu/wordpress-mu/wp-includes/compat.php on line 1337

Any help out there?

About this Topic