The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Get rid of that /blog redirect and handling (10 posts)

1. helmi
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi,

is there any way to get rid of they way wpmu handles the default weblog in a subdirectory-type install where / and /blog are the same?

I'd like to do a little portal on / and have my main blog in /blog with a standard blog starting page in domain.com/blog/. By default wpmu maps /blog on / - that's most probably due to conflicting issues with permalinks but as i don't want to use big posts in the main blog on / that wouldn't hurt me.

So is there a possible way probably without modifying the core?

Thanks for your help!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sure, in your theme.

Use home.php in your theme folder to show what you want under /.

make a page template to pull your blog index. name it "blog". Admittedly, I have not tried this yet... :D but it *should* work.

3. helmi
    Posted 15 years ago #

thanks for the hit, andrea - i'll test that out and report.

4. helmi
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi again,

is there also a way to have all the posts of this primary blog on top level:

domain.com/2009/10/posttitle.html instead of
    domain.com/blog/2009/10/posttitle.html

Thanks!

5. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

If you're using subdirectory install - you should not do this :)
    Imagine that you have a page domain.com/sports/ and then you'll get a user 'sports' registering. So, /blog/ part is important in subdir installs.

6. helmi
    Posted 15 years ago #

it's a non public installation with only a view blogs and the main blog on / will only have a view pages that should be reachable via /page1 /page2 instead of /blog/page1 /blog/page2 and so on.

So the named problem should not really be a problem.

7. helmi
    Posted 15 years ago #

The fun thing is i can get the permalinks working without /blog but i can't get wordpress to remove it in the permalink-edit-section and so wordpress tries to link the posts to /blog/posttitle.

Weird!

8. helmi
    Posted 15 years ago #

still no one with and idea about that?

9. bloom
    Posted 15 years ago #

I want to change /blog to /site for my main blog entries. I can't seem to find a way to do this, though according the instructions in the admin simply adding "site" to the category base field should do it. Is it even possible?

10. sozomai
    Posted 14 years ago #

this problem is addressed on the following thread:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=11883

About this Topic