The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Removing "Browse Happy" (15 posts)

1. RCB I.T. Solutions
    Posted 15 years ago #

How do I remove the ugly and very annoying Browse Happy icon, besides not using IE because that's not an option.

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

A quick search of the forums shows this thread:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=909

4. RCB I.T. Solutions
    Posted 15 years ago #

I did a little searching, just thorw this one line in a file in mu-plugins and that should do the trick, it's:

remove_action('admin_footer', 'browse_happy');

5. RCB I.T. Solutions
    Posted 15 years ago #

hmmm wierd in theory it should counteract where they add_action() to add it but it's still there.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Try this, it may help:

remove_action('admin_footer', 'browse_happy', 11);

I did something the other day with a remove action, and had to force it to fire at a lower priority.

7. RCB I.T. Solutions
    Posted 15 years ago #

hmm odd, still there

$priority
    (int) (optional) The priority of the function (as defined when the function was originally hooked).

Sounds to me the priority must match the add_action priority which unless the code has changed from what I saw posted elsewhere on these forums no priority is given when it's added.

Browse Happy is a persistant lil bugger isn't it

EDIT: oh i skipped a parameter: $tag
    (string) (required) The action hook to which the function to be removed is hooked.
    Default: None

anyone know what that means, i'm not sure..lol

8. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

The "tag" is what the function you are removing is hooking into. So if the add_action hooks into the wp_footer call, you would want the first parameter to be wp_footer. For this, it's admin_footer.

Have you double checked where browse happy is called, and verified it's original parameters?

9. RCB I.T. Solutions
    Posted 15 years ago #

I see now, I had a tag all along I just didn't realize it's called a tag, anyway I think I found the issue, they use

add_action( 'in_admin_footer', 'browse_happy' );

So i did

remove_action( 'in_admin_footer', 'browse_happy' );

i also tried

remove_action( 'in_admin_footer', 'browse_happy', 11 );

This should work, but

For some strange reason its still hanging out in the admin footer, so I decided I will just hack the core to remove it.

Thanks for your help.

10. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

heh Which is what we all did in the first place. :)

11. RCB I.T. Solutions
    Posted 15 years ago #

eh i'm lazy i don't want to have to do it everytime I upgrade, but for now that seems to be easiest, its either that or buy a subscription to that mpmudev site for that one plugin not exactly most economical

12. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

*shrug* We have a list of 13 changes we make to the mu platform. Takes five minutes every few months.

And considering we're moving to SVN for all of our platforms, it probably won't even involve that anymore. (Here's hoping.)

13. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

That's what I do as well. More for upgrading than anything.
    Pull down the difference from the last time I synced, then patch the local copy I have in SVN, then verify it's operational, then merge, so on and so forth.

14. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

By the way, I believe the hook is "in_admin_footer".

I note though that a recent change (Search for browse_happy) shows that a modification was made to the template file but the add_action was removed to apply it.

I'm not seeing the icon in 2.7 and a quick grep doesn't show any use of "in_admin_footer" or the function itself anywhere in the code.

15. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ditto on regular wordpress as well.

I'm going to get lynched for that, aren't I? :)

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by RCB I.T. Solutions
  • Latest reply from tdjcbe