The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Domain Mapping Plugin with WPMU 2.7 (25 posts)

1. johnny_n
    Posted 15 years ago #

Does anyone have the WordPress MU Domain Mapping plugin working with MPMU 2.7? Are there any problems? I see version .3 only says it's compatible with 2.6...

Want to make sure before I install...

Thanks! ; )

2. torre
    Posted 15 years ago #

i have no problems with mu domain mapping and mu 2.7

3. johnny_n
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, works great -- thanks torre! ; )

4. torre
    Posted 15 years ago #

5. torre
    Posted 15 years ago #

6. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Does the Domain Mapping plugin work on a shared host? If so, how long should it take before a mapped domain starts to redirect?

7. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

The plugin works by having an A DNS record pointing the domain to your IP address where the main WPMU install resides, so once that domain is pointing at the main WPMU install, it happens immediately after you setup the domain mapping on the blog in question.

8. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks Trent, I was trying to set it up ONLY in the WPMU install. I will get into the domain DNS settings and change the A record.

Thanks!

9. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi again,

I still haven't been successful and I have found some additional information that's got me a bit confused.

I have created a blog on my MU install. Let's call it, newblog.mysite.com. I have the domain name domaintomap.com

In newblog.mysite.com domain mapping settings, I have entered the ip address of the server of my main mu install. Let's call that 72.222.128.101. I have also entered the name of the domain I want to map to this mu blog. So, my settings look like this:

Site Admin Configuration

As a site admin on this site you can set the IP address users need to point their DNS A records at. If you don't know what it is, ping this blog to get the IP address.

Server IP Address:72.222.128.101

Active domains on this blog
    domaintomap.com

Now, the next step I did was to change the DNS A record settings for the domaintomap.com domain name. I changed the DNS A record to match the ip address I used above, 72.222.128.101.

It has been about two hours and when I load domaintomap.com, it is not being directed to newblog.mysite.com

...so I started searching and found Jim's domain mapping setup description over at bavatuesdays. http://bavatuesdays.com/wpmu-domain-mapping-plugin-on-cpanel/

He references settings the nameservers to match the main MU host nameservers in addition to changing the DNS A record. This has me confused as changing nameservers isn't mentioned in the plugin documentation or with the advice here.

Can someone confirm that what I've done is either correct or incorrect? And also whether changing the nameservers is a requirement anymore?

Thanks for any advice.
    In his description he

10. johnny_n
    Posted 15 years ago #

I think it depends a bit on how your shared hosting account is set up, but did you create the domain domaintomap.com in your control panel?

If you haven't, do that -- and then take whatever web folder your control panel created and rename it (say, domaintomap.com.old) -- then create a symlink from domaintomap.com to your wmpu install folder.

If you don't know how to create symlinks, ask your host to do it for you.

There may be other ways to do it but that's what I did.

11. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

The host is using cpanel and I have not not created the addon domain in cpanel.

Maybe that's the missing link for me. I'll give it a shot and report back.

12. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yep, that was it...had to create addon domain in cpanel. Also had to change nameservers.

So, to recap for others. When using the Domain Mapping plugin on an MU install (shared hosting) with a host using cpanel, this is what I did...

If I want to map domaintomap.com to a subdomain blog located here newblog.mysite.com...

1. Configure domaintomap.com. Set nameservers to the nameservers of the host of your MU install.

2. Set the DNS A record of domaintomap.com to point to the ip address of the server to where you MU install is hosted.

3. Inside the admin backend of newblog.mysite.com (not the admin backend of your entire mu site). Set the Domain Mapping details accordingly. (server ip and active domains)

4. Log into cpanel and add an addon domain according to the directions here http://bavatuesdays.com/wpmu-domain-mapping-plugin-on-cpanel/

Worked for me so far.

13. albertc
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm having a related problem. The new domain is created in cpanel (as newdomain.com parked on top of newdomain.site.com) and the DNS is pointing to the server IP address.

The blog exists as newdomain.site.com in WPMU. However, I'm unable to manage the backend in order to enable domain mapping, because I'm getting Error 404 whenever I go to newdomain.com/wp-admin or newdomain.site.com/wp-admin

Both newdomain.com and newdomain.site.com are getting a directory listing. I have deleted the existing blog and created a new one using the same names, but the problem remains.

Can somebody help? Thanks!

14. albertc
    Posted 15 years ago #

Most comments are related to installing WPMU in the root folder of the domain. However, I’d like to keep the code in a subfolder in order to keep things tidy, so WPMU would be in mydomain.com/wpmu.

Then I’d like to have blogs named blog1.mydomain.com, blog2.mydomain.com and so on.

What’s the best way to set this up when installing WPMU? Should the site use mydomain.com/blogs or blogs.mydomain.com? I guess the latter option will then require long URLs such as blog1.blogs.mydomain.com and blog2.blogs.mydomain.com, while the former would then require URLs such as blog1.mydomain.com/blogs and blog2.mydomain.com/blogs. Both of them are unacceptable.

I have tried the Domain Mapping plugin but it does not seem to solve my questions.

Can somebody help here? Thanks in advance!

15. blogz
    Posted 15 years ago #

why dont you try moving your installation to root if you want it on the root too

16. tragicallyhip
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello, I'm using the latest versions of both MU and the MU Domain Mapping plugin and can't seem to get it to work. I've read through all of the posts and docs I can find to no avail. Here is my setup.

I'm on a shared host using virtual domains (~/domains/domain.tld/publichtml/). They all have the same IP address. I set up MU on http://modernsprocket.com and created my main blog. Then I created a website called http://marblealley.com. I installed the domain mapping plugin into mu-plugins, then created a blog called http://marblealley.modernsprocket.com. I activated the plugin for the blog, using the only IP address I have for all my domains and marblealley.com. I then created a temporary redirect on marblealley.com to point to the marblealley.modernsprocket.com blog. The redirect appears to be working, but the domain mapping does not... it continues to display the full subdomain.

Other bits of information that might be helpful: my DNS entries at GoDaddy point to my web hosts' nameservers. When creating websites on my host, they automatically create the appropriate A record, and I've double checked to confirm it in this example. The hosts nameservers resolve to the names of your websites in the path structure I described earlier, so its possible to create a subdomain as a directory under a domain OR as a separate website (website domain.com with subdirectory of /sub OR website sub.domain.com).

Thoughts?

17. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

18. tragicallyhip
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ding Ding! Thanks, Andrea for the quick reply and great suggestion. That's all it took. I was redirecting not pointing/parking. Works like a charm. Sorry for my crazy slow reply.

19. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Eh, least I could do for a fellow Hip. ;)

20. RobLincolne
    Posted 14 years ago #

hey guys, first post I think! anyway.. thanks andrea for the great plugin (though I haven't got it running completely yet)

everything seems to be cruising pretty well, got WPMU installed, plugin installed etc on (let's say) domain1.com however, I'm using Apache + Plesk 8.2.1, and it's not possible to 'park' a domain domain2.com as it is in CPanel.

What's the best way to achieve the 'parking' in light of this?

At the moment (I'm not a real good server admin guy you might come to realise) I'm thinking adjusting a .htaccess file or perhaps some mods to the httpd.include file?

Or should I purchase an exclusive IP and map all the domains to that?

Hosted DV with (mt) here

21. RobLincolne
    Posted 14 years ago #

ok, I think i've got it looking in the right place by adjusting the 'document root' in the httpd.include... because I get this back when I load the domain. My

<?php
    /**
    * Front to the WordPress application. This file doesn't do anything, but loads
    * wp-blog-header.php which does and tells WordPress to load the theme.
    * @package WordPress
    */
    .............. etc etc
    ?>

but my 'wp_domain_mapping' table is empty despite filling in the fields under 'Tools -> Domain Mapping' in WPMU Admin

22. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Hosted DV with (mt) here "

Oh, they call it something different in the backend... I have to go hunt that info down, and I'll email it to you.

Crazy busy here, just dropping in to "relax". :D

23. jimirig_dot_com
    Posted 14 years ago #

We have a Gridserver with (mt) and had to connect over SSH and run a couple of lines in a terminal to get ours to work. Works great though. BTW I read the article here http://bavatuesdays.com/wpmu-domain-mapping-plugin-on-cpanel/ which states that you have to point your domain to the nameservers that are for your host. That isn't true. You do however need to add the domain to your host and point an A record in DNS to the web server, then change the folder. I know on 1and1 Hosting you can just select the folder from a drop down list. On (mt) a symlink had to be created.

(mt) has a BD article about this here http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/63/Pointing+Multiple+Domains+to+the+Same+Alternate+Domain+Folder

cd domains

rm -rf domaintopoint.com

ln -s wpmudomain.com domaintopoint.com

That is it. Add the domain in WPMU Mappings and test. Should work instantly if all the DNS is correct.

24. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

The exact setup really depends on the server you're on. The A reocrd works if your IP points directly to your MU site.

25. lucasajackson
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have the WPMU Domain Mapping plug-in installed and working, but when I go to the URL of a site that I have mapped to WPMU it takes about 30+ seconds to pull the site up. If I go to a site that I'm not using a mapped domain, it pulls up instantly. The same is also true for the backend of mapped and non-mapped sites, it will pull up instantly. Any suggestions?

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by johnny_n
  • Latest reply from lucasajackson