The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Plugins I would like to see ... (10 posts)

1. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

Let me just toss a couple ideas out there for the wonderful, helpful, talented WPMu community to mull over:

Sitewide Twitter updates: I offer Twitter Tools as a plugin option. But wouldn't it be great of the site admin could set up a Twitter account for the entire site, and whenever anyone posted, there was an update in Twitter?

Automatic cross posting: Many has been the time I wanted a post in one blog and anted it to appear on another. Ideally, the site admin to cross post to ANY blog, while other blog owners could post only to blogs where they have author or admin rights.

Site-wide text/executable php widgets: This would let the site admin easily create widgets that would be available for all bloggers on the site.

2. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

The first request could be achived if you used Donncha's Sitewide tags and the Twitter plugin together.

The second one would be a spammers delight. So this is not likely to be made available or put into core :)

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

You can use most offsite posters like Blogdesk to do the cross posting. It'll send posts to multiple sites.

And we just code widgets upon request for our clients if they want something that can't get past the filters.

4. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

The first can be achieved with the Twitter Blaster plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/twitter-blaster/

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

As a heavy twitter user, let me just say something like that would annoy me to no end*. Sure, you *can* pump your RSS feed to twitter, but if a stream is all that - then I'll use my feed reader thanks. :)

#3 - http://wpmututorials.com/plugins/build-your-own-widget/

(edited to add I'm very easy to annoy today and Bill knows it ain't directed at him ;D )

6. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Twitter would seem to be something that would get abused/be annoying. Especially on a large site. Smaller, tighter community sites with less than say 15 posts a day might not be quite as bad.

Cross-site posting: If it was to only one additional site, it might not be so bad. But the more sites in the "post to" list, the more and more resources that would be used.

I still fail to see why nobody thinks of setting up a blog where these posts are posted to, then having something in the theme (or a widget) which pulls and displays content from that blog (and not with RSS).

Makes for less database space as well.

And the 3rd one? Security nightmare waiting to happen. :D

7. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

lunabyte: I'm not talking about something that puts ALL your posts onto multiple other blogs ithin your site. I occasionally make a post that I want to go to multile blogs. I have a blog about science fiction AND a blog about comic books. I might write a post that fits in both blogs subject matter.

I also post site news on the front page of the site, but also cros post to my personal blog, or my well-read blog about local politics.

8. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Actually if you think about it, if you;re using one of the sitewide solutions previously discussed, why can't you hoop up a twitter plugin to that blog?

Maybe I'm missing something here but I'm not seeing a need for a specialized plugin to do this.

9. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'd like to be using Doncha's site wide tags plugin to create a blog showing ALL the posts, and use Twitter Tools on that site. But it's my understanding that Doncha's plug doesn't ork well with BuddyPress.

10. redsoxmaniac
    Posted 15 years ago #

bildennis, I am trying to implement a plugin for posts that will repost to other blogs right now. Its taking a lot of time ( and some funcds ) but when it comes out I can show you.

Since I am not in charge of the development, I am unsure if it will be open-source. The 2nd option in the 2nd version would be to create a redirect to the source file ( since have duplicates would just add more data to your site, not to mention the SEO love you would get from Google. )

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by billdennis5
  • Latest reply from redsoxmaniac