The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Set password on the signup page (11 posts)

1. mayansoldier
    Posted 15 years ago #

HI! I've been developing a website for people who know little about internet and explorers so i need to make it very user-friendly. I think that going to your email to activate the account and check it again for password is too tedious and can confuse people. So, i want to add a field at the sign up page to set their own password. Something like this plugin http://skullbit.com/wordpress-plugin/register-plus/(for simple wordpress) or this plugin (for wordpress mu) http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/set-password-on-wordpress-mu-blog-creation but free cause i cannot buy it since i'm a minor and i don't have a paypal account; and i don't have the money!.
    Please help! if possible i would also like to change the emailer address from noreply@elrincondelcas.co.cc to elrincondelcas@hotmail.com to stop sending emails to the hotmail spam folder.
    I will really appreciete any replies.I love this forum because its the forum where i get faster and better replies about wordpress.
    Thanks a lot!

2. mayansoldier
    Posted 15 years ago #

I guess i can't do that. Thanks anyway!

3. jaekob
    Posted 15 years ago #

Im in the same situtation. Would be really grateful if someone find a free alternative to wpmudev's!

cheers

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

Getting rid of the email handshaking process to set passwords can really open you up for splogs. I'm not sure how the wpmudev premium plugin gets round that.

5. mayansoldier
    Posted 15 years ago #

what are splogs?
    Thanks for your replies!

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Splogs = spam blogs

7. jaekob
    Posted 15 years ago #

I dont want to get rid of the handshaking. I just want a set password-feature instead of the password generator. Its too complicated for users with (almost) none computer experience to remember, save or change the password.

8. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

There's a premium plugin that will do that. Don't know if there's a free one though. Could have sworn that there was but I don't see anything right off.

http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/set-password-on-wordpress-mu-blog-creation

9. hyrxx
    Posted 15 years ago #

i have been hunting for ages for this aswell, and still the only one that has it is the premium site, i am not interested in paying for this, i know it can be done, id code it myself if i knew a bit more about oop, surely this should be a feature or at least an option to allow it, i get splogs regardless

i loose a lot of users due to this problem because they can log in once but they dont change the password so they forget it because it is a random string of crap,

it would be so useful if someone had any info about how i might add this / code it or whatever
    thanks

forgot to add im also using buddypress so the signup thing is a little different i think??

10. karencoghlan
    Posted 14 years ago #

11. keyland
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi everyone,

yeah if you contact to hosting service it works, but if you make very easy to send emails very well make this changes

I found the way that wordpress send emails to friends, using the function http://codex.wordpress.org/WPMU_Functions/wpmu_welcome_notification

but for this use
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    wp_mail($user_email, $subject, $message, $message_headers);
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////7
    in wordpress-mu/wp-includes/wp-functions.php

so i have this problem when i have to send lists of emails via console linux because this go to spam folders in yahoo, and hotmail, so i create a sistem in php to send this emails.

Is very easy

change
    wp_mail($user_email, $subject, $message, $message_headers);
    for

mail($user_email, $subject, $message, $message_headers);

that this change your emails sed to inbox
    This works because php not show the original sender in litle words

so prove it

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by mayansoldier
  • Latest reply from keyland