The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Migration from WordPress 2.7 (6 posts)

1. worawisut
    Posted 15 years ago #

This is scenario I encounter :
    -WordPress 2.7 with 300 register users + 200 articles written by 20 users of 300

What I aim for :
    - WordPress MU 2.7 with 300 register users + 200 articles written by 20 users of 300 + each article posted on 20 users blog (Not on the main site)

I follow these guides but the problem is users migration.
    - http://welcome.totheinter.net/2008/10/04/how-to-migrate-from-wordpress-to-wordpress-mu/
    - http://bavatuesdays.com/importing-a-single-wp-blog-to-a-wpmu-installation/

Could anyone suggest me what we need to accomplish my aim?
    I'm looking for upgrade/migration scripts but none.
    Most migration guides from WP to WPMU are about single user not my 300 users.

Thank you very much in advance :)

2. tanvir
    Posted 15 years ago #

whatever you do don't forget to backup your data.

3. WordPress MU 2.7 with 300 register users + 200 articles written by 20 users of 300 + each article posted on 20 users blog (Not on the main site)
  4. are u maintaing those separately?

• tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Export out the entire old site into an *.xml file and import that into blog 1 of your new mu install.

Delete all of the articles out of blog #1. That'll get your user list over.

Create the new users' blogs on your new mu install. Move your users to where ever they need to be giving them level access as well.

Export out of your old wp install each author's body of works into their own *.xml file. Regular wp should be able to do that. If not, you;re going to have to code the export script to do an author check.

Import each authors' xml file into their new mu blog. That'll bring over the comments as well.

Should work. Can't see why it shouldn't.

• tanvir
    Posted 15 years ago #

#worawisut: the links you posted & the instructions posted by tdjcbe; all good. You should try out yourself then if you find any error or difficulty then post back. Hope you'll get response by anyone.

If you finish this successfully then let us know about it & share your experience which may help others.

• worawisut
    Posted 15 years ago #

thanks everyone

#tdjcbe
    Your suggestion works fine for me , thanks :)

For User migration , let me post the instruction below
    1. Export table "wp_user" & "wp_usermetadata" from the old site as SQL Script.

2. Go to PHP MySQL Admin of new site , delete all rows in those 2 tables. [This prevents the duplicated primary key error.]

3. Import User SQL Script into new site database.
    4. Now , you will get all users data to the new site.

and then follow #tdjcbe 's instruction above.
    It works fine for me now , thanks a bunch.

Both links I posted above makes my site fall in redirect infinity loop. I'm not sure what I miss from both guides.
    But those make me an idea for user migration:)

Thanks everyone!

• agreda
    Posted 14 years ago #

3. Import User SQL Script into new site database.
    4. Now , you will get all users data to the new site.

@worawisut Isn't it also necessary to import the usermeta script? And if so, will this make any old wp admin users administrators of blog id 1? Finally, will usermeta require any edits prior to import (like users must have the last two fields added to accommodate the wpmu "spam" and "deleted" identifiers)?

I too am having trouble with the user import in my pending migration from wp to wpmu, discussed in detail here. I also get an infinite redirect loop for imported users prohibiting them from visiting their dashboard. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• About this Topic