The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Someone please help me with subdomain enabling. (20 posts)

1. xceed
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello, Guys.

I have just installed wordpress MU and i want to know how i can enable subdomain registrations.

I mean when i register in my register a subdomain from my wordpress MU website and when i try to access it then it shows webpage not available error. i.e. the subdomain has not been created.

Can someone please help me, with how i can solve this error please :)

If possible please add me to gtalk or msn

Gtalk : xceed(dot)xn@gmail.com
    MSN : xceed(dot)xn@live.in

Thankyou.

2. worldblogosphere
    Posted 15 years ago #

Did you choose the option to use subdomains when installing WPMU? If you chose the subdirectory option instead I don't think it will create the subdomains.

I could of course be wrong, but that would be my first guess.

Gene :-)

3. xceed
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, i selected subdomain while installation. do need to edit something so that this works?

Please Help.

-----------
    Thankyou for Replying

4. tanvir
    Posted 15 years ago #

enable your wildcard sub-domain.

5. xceed
    Posted 15 years ago #

Can you please explain me how to do that.

Thankyou.

6. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

PLEASE, please use the search. search for "wildcard sub domain dns" - this question pops up at least 2 times a week, it is so tiresome to go search for the right post, then post a link to it for you here.

If you had read the readme you would have known this is your problem.

And this is in no way meant personally.

7. xceed
    Posted 15 years ago #

Actually i tried to search for it, but i didnt found something what i was looking for.

Now ill search for "wildcard sub domain dns" and hope ill get something useful.

Thankyou. And sorry for repeating this question again (if someone has already asked it before).

8. tanvir
    Posted 15 years ago #

if you don't find any solution about wildcard yourself then ask you service provider about this.

9. xceed
    Posted 15 years ago #

can you please tell me what exactly should i ask them, im total noob with this DNS Wildcard.

Also is it possible for you to join me on

Gtalk : xceed(dot)xn@gmail.com
    MSN : xceed(dot)xn@live.in

Thankyou.

10. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

on the wpmu download site there is a readme: http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/README.txt

look out for the DNS section.

11. xceed
    Posted 15 years ago #

Read that already, before installation. but didn't understood much of it.

Anyways i have requested my host to do it. hope they will solve this soon.

Thankyou.

12. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

really didn't mean to be rude, but if you don't understand that, well, your host should. if he doesn't, switch hosts.

BUT I strongly suggest you learn that too, are you familiar with apache and mysql? You should be if you plan on using wpmu on a large scale, if its just for you and your mates, you might be fine...

13. tanvir
    Posted 15 years ago #

just ask your host about 'wildcard sub-domain'. It's enable or not. If not enable then how to enable it.

xceed: if we want to maintain a WPMU site then you have to learn the basics as Ovidiu said. Most importantly you have to learn GOOGLING. Here in this forum there a lot thread was opened on the same topic; you should able to find those.

14. xceed
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thankyou guys, also yes im trying be best to learn these web-development stuffs as much as i can.

Also i did talked to my host, my host is hostgator. they did it. Now wordpress does creates a subdomain but it points to my public html folder. while my wpmu is in public_html/ezeeblog folder.

Sorry for bothering you guys once again but, How can i solve this. plz help.

Thank you so much for you help. I really appreciate your help. :)

15. grandslambert
    Posted 15 years ago #

For MU to work properly with subdomains, you have to install MU in the root (public_html) and not in a folder from that. If you can't do that, then you need to use the subirectory method. I am sure somone will correct me if I am wrong, but I am quite positive you must have MU in the root folder for subdomains to work.

16. xceed
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ok THANKYOU. Ill install it in public_html then.

17. tanvir
    Posted 15 years ago #

xceed: point your sub-domain pointer to the installation directory in your case public_html/ezeeblog

18. xceed
    Posted 15 years ago #

"xceed: point your sub-domain pointer to the installation directory in your case public_html/ezeeblog"

Can you please explain a little more of how i can do this.

Thankyou.

19. tanvir
    Posted 15 years ago #

wildcard subdomain is pointed to public_html it should be pointed to the installation folder of WPMU.

20. xceed
    Posted 15 years ago #

yes i think you are right. i have asked my host to do this. and i now hope that they solve this error. :)

Thankyou.

About this Topic