The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Anti Spam User & Blog in WPMU (20 posts)

1. dizco
    Posted 15 years ago #

Dear all,

that anyone have a plugin for anti spam user & blog in wpmu, my wpmu is always get a spam user & blog...

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

dear dizco:

PLEASE search, this is a question that has been asked once a week at least.

We are not going to search for you and then spoonfeed you.

The information is here, go look for it.

3. redsoxmaniac
    Posted 15 years ago #

I feel that this is a topic that is deserving of its own FAQ or sticky that can be updated monthly ( and yes, I am saying that with assertion that I am willing to volunteer my time )

Ovidiu, I see your point in being annoyed with the question being constantly asked. But look at how many conflicting opinions end up with these questions:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3882
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=6274
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=6246
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=812
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3586

What happens with these posts is that there are too many opinions agreeing/disagreeing with certain methods, calls to plugins that aren't updated anymore, or have long cease to have a download URL, topics that were started years ago and aren't relevant to now, or there just isn't enough information within a single post to give anyone a positive direction on what to do.

I call for a sticky on structuring a decent anti-spam segment for WPMU. Send me your plugins, your suggestions, your criticism, your modifications. I will try to make one up and post it here in about a week.

Who's coming with me?

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

In all seriousness, it'll probably not happen. Please remember that Automattic has Akismet which, for wpmu, is a paid service. You're asking them to point folks away from that service. And you;re also asking them to point folks to a direct competitor who offers their solution for free.

Folks are going to ignore the sticky anyway. They already ignore the search and "Is MU for me?" stickies.

edit: But just to throw in another link: http://wpmututorials.com/plugins/stopping-spam-comments-sitewide/

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Also, a mod has to make the post sticky.

6. redsoxmaniac
    Posted 15 years ago #

I understand that, but my whole point is that if the community is going to constantly bicker about decent cocktail contingency plans of impeding spam, then the suggestion of creating a sticky isn't far-fetched.

I wasn't trying to showcase alternatives that would hurt the Akismet service, but only to show how convoluted the spamming argument is. The solution only gets murkier as the version increases, hackers become more savvy, and solution proliferate.

If I am asking Akismet to point to a different service, and that isn't in the best interest of Autommattic, then moderators should just censor every spam topic on the board, or reply with their website.

Many people are upset with newbies coming on board and asking questions, and for once I stood up and volunteered my time to a problem I felt affected many people.

Also, this is ( I thought was ) supposed to be an MU community. If I say that there could be something better than Akismet, why couldn't there be information on alternatives for the sake of bettering the MU system?

I am doing my best to contribute my time so that other members don't have to waste theirs. If everyone wishes to proceed with the inefficient fights of what is the best spam prevention for the MU module, I will leave this argument.

As for "Is MU for me", you are right, no one really reads it. But some people could, and it is more efficient to copy/paste a link than it is to constantly reply.

Do any of the moderators think this a good idea? Bad idea? Is this just going to go by the wayside? For such a constant hot topic in the forums, I hope something comes of what I am saying.

7. redsoxmaniac
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am setting up 400 blogs within my system, and don't know if I have that type of money to set up an Akismet for that many blogs.

If I find a suitable alternative for cheaper or free, then that is what I am going to do. From my standpoint, I am a have-not, and do not possess the money to utilize Akismet for my system. I am not going to let my dream die because I can't afford it. And I know there are probably others in the same position.

If there can't be a sticky here, or at least some in-depth feedback on systems like Akismet and Montyspam, are there other places where this issue can be discussed?

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Right on the Akismet page they said they'll let you use it on a lot of blogs FOR FREE if you link to them.

"Free option

We can provide an API key completely free of charge for selected non-profits in exchange for some promotion, specifically links to WordPress.com and Akismet.com on each of the protected blogs. What's required?

* A link to akismet.com on every page.
    * A link to wordpress.com on every page.
    * Contact us with your key and website after you've added the links, so we can check the links and mark your key so it doesn't trigger our anti-abuse systems."

And the link above to the tutorial blog has plenty of free options.

For any of the moderators to reply, they'd have to actually read, you know? ;)

I don't use Akismet, I do use some ways I've detailed plenty of times to stop splogs. And last I checked, the montyspam thread had hunderds of replies. I think that's pretty darn extensive.

9. redsoxmaniac
    Posted 15 years ago #

Seeing how extensive these threads are, I was just hoping there was some consensus ( I always take your word as the highest ) on the best way to guard against it.

How about this: Can everyone just list their grouping of anit-spam/ security techniques, and just a sentence or two why they think their setup is good?

10. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

ok, if you insist:

I use montyspam

why? I like being in control, so I prefer a local solution. AND I prefer a self learning solution. These two points pretty much made me use montyspam and I am absolutely happy with its performance.

Thats my personal opinion and I won't elaborate any further and I admit its not THE BEST solution for everyone you have to form your own opinion on these products and make your own choice.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

... and that's why there's so many threads. :) Everyone does something different.

12. scottdonald
    Posted 14 years ago #

thanks for the advice my site pagesforeveryone.com got attacked by spam blogs with such rubbish content that google has deindexed the site.

i'll try your advice to clean it up using antispam methods. i installed wp-hashcash but it does not seem to be enough.

is there any way to stop other abusive uses of the blogs even if they are created by a real user? thanks scott

13. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

well, for the problem with manually created blogs, I can only recomment montyspam as it is a learning filter.
    so the more signups/splogs you mark as SPAM the faster it learns.

###edit###
    you can always just opt for this plugin that makes signing up subject to moderation: http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Moderate-New-Blogs

14. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

WP-SpamFree Anti-Spam - set it site-wide, working very well. Known Conflicts.

15. PromProm
    Posted 14 years ago #

myspacee.info
    host-a-site.info
    whatsfancy.info
    mobilemember.info
    gottagot.info
    businesssuccessresources.com
    vipmembers.info
    whatsfancy.info
    mobilemember.info
    verisite.info
    artyart.info
    mywiiforum.info
    myblogscom.info
    nickelbingogames.com
    mywiiforum.info
    netdome.info
    imhavinfun.info
    3gnet.to
    mysace.info
    onlq.com
    rcbuyersguide.com
    confickervirusremoval.com
    mixkia25.com
    webtracknn.com
    firstinfinityemail.com
    mykami.com
    easypettrim.info
    imaffiliatesniper.com

Here is list of spam emails. These fu*k*rs really pissing me off. Block them and you will get less automatic signups ;]

16. commercialscott
    Posted 14 years ago #

I think PromProm has hit on it. We just need a place with known WPMU splogger domain names that people can contribute to. An easy place to upload any spam domains that get through that could be easily copied and pasted into blocked domains section. Perhaps separated in monthly or bi-monthly installments. There will always be spammers and we will always fight, so organization might help.

I think it would need to be on a site we can control so that contributors have to be ok'd first, gotta protect the list from spammers to ya know! Since we're all MU users it wouldn't take much for any of us to create a site to do this on an install.

Anyone else think this might be worth giving a shot? Perhaps it could evolve into a plugin that auto-updates? Or am I trying re-create a wheel here?

17. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

With .info domains as low as under a US dollar, and gmail addresses free, keeping an email ban list would be a losing battle. Most of the sploggers use automated tools - I can send you links to the programs they use too - so the best way to really block them is to stop thsoe requests. Three tips are in the latest readme.

18. PromProm
    Posted 14 years ago #

Dear andrea_r,

I installed all available protections! Now I will get only 20% spam. These domains passed all security.

I don't interested to buy membership of premium.wpmudev.org to download few spam protection plugins because these guys who create this website are shit! I have 100% banner free blog hosting(I work for idea), and use open source. Why I must buy membership?

I will block these emails whit pleasure. They may to register thousands of them! I going to update this list every month.

19. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

So you think WPMU is shit? Spammers flood just about every forum/blog instalation there is out there. PHPBB2 and PHPBB3 installs get hit. Joomla gets hit.

It is nothing to do with the software being "shit" its just a fact of life on the internet.

I use Monty Spam and it works quite well. I don't have time to maintain a black list of email domains, and on my PHPBB site a lot of them are using using Google and Hotmail and Yahoo and other free email domains.

20. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

huh? I didn't say anything about that. I was talking about what the people who are signing up to YOUR SITE are using. They do it with an automated program that runs under Windows.

About this Topic