The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

the Excerpt (5 posts)

1. TTjip
    Posted 15 years ago #

If I use "the excerpt" instead of "the content" I get "[...]" at the end. Is there a way to change that to something like "Read More..." and hyperlink it?

Example on the site I'm building.
    http://tackletog.com/

2. worldblogosphere
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi TTjip,

Changing it from . . . is simple. Click on "Excerpt" in your "Settings" menu in the Admin area. this will bring up the options page for it. Just under where you set the word count is "Elipsis". In the box on that line it should currently say "…". Change that box to what you want it to say. Be sure to put a coupld spaces at the beginning or else it will be directly next to the text of your post.

So something like
    (Read More. . .)
    (more)

Then scroll down and click "Save Changes"

I am not sure how you could make it a link.

Gene :-)

3. TTjip
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm using WPMU 2.7 and cannot find what you've said.

4. worldblogosphere
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sorry, with the way you had explained it I assumed you were using the "Advanced Excerpt" plugin.

So, I went to search for the link to the plugin. I found it, but I also found what I think is an even better plugin.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/excerpt-editor/

That plugin will le tyou do exactly what you want. You can edit the text that is show after the ... and check a box to make it a link.

I already have it loaded on my site at http://www.worldblogosphere.com if you want to see what it looks like.

Hope that helps this time.

Gene :-)

5. dwenaus
    Posted 15 years ago #

for more control of the excerpt I copied the default wp excerpt function and added the ability to control the expert length and optionally the ellipses. The plugin mentioned above might do even more, I haven't checked it out.

// this funtion is used in place of the_excerpt() it is identical, except that you can specify a word length
    // usage better_excerpt(35)

function better_excerpt($length=55, $trailer='...') {
            global $post;
                $text = get_the_content('');
                $text = apply_filters('the_content', $text);
                $text = str_replace(']]>', ']]>', $text);
                $text = strip_tags($text);
                $excerpt_length = $length;
                $words = explode(' ', $text, $excerpt_length + 1);
                if (count($words) > $excerpt_length) {
                        array_pop($words);
                        array_push($words, $trailer);
                        $text = implode(' ', $words);
                }
            echo $text;
    }

in the code just put better_excerpt(35) instead of excerpt(). It just takes the first 35 words from your content and shows it. Quicker than crafting your own custom excerpt, but not as elegant.

To create the more link just use something like this:

<a>" rel="bookmark" title="Permanent Link to <?php the_title(); ?>">continue</a>

About this Topic