The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to Manually add blogs (4 posts)

1. emerinea
    Posted 15 years ago #

My hosting company won't configure httpd.conf or give its users access to it.

I can manually add the subdomain, user, and blog but the blog isn't getting created correctly. I'm not sure what folder I should point the subdomain. I tried wordpress-mu/wp-content/blogs.dir/username/
    but that didn't work.

Any suggestions on how to manually do this? I have 40 teachers that want to create blogs/webpages. If I can get around the wildcard...that would be awesome!

Thanks!

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Install WPMU using subdirectory option.

3. grandslambert
    Posted 15 years ago #

If your host won't let you do anything with wildcard subdomains, maybe you should use a different host. I like HostGator - you just need to go to cPanel and add the subdomain as *.domain.tld and boom, they work. Tried this with two domains that are actually ADD ON domains and it works great. Try asking your host to activate wildcard domains. If they won't, again, switch hosts.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Use the subdirectory option or get another host.

Clarification here: Hostgator works with only doing that one thing (which is #2 of the tow things you need to do for wildcard subdomains) because they have already done the the required setup in Apache when your account is created.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by emerinea
  • Latest reply from andrea_r