The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Automatic Plugin Upgrade Message Missing (12 posts)

1. stankt
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi,

I'm running WPMU 2.7. Yesterday, at the plugins page that displays all the plugins, I noticed some plugins were flagged as having a new version with their respective version numbers. I had a choice to update manually or automatically.

I chose to start updating one by one, automatically. I clicked on the update automatically below one plugin and see a screen asking for my hostname, username and password and to choose an FTP method. I chose the normal FTP method, and see a next screen saying that the new update is being downloaded and unpacked. Then nothing happened for a long time - so I refreshed the page. This took me back to the plugins page.

By this time, ALL the MESSAGES that asked me to update selected plugins that have the latest version - have gone MISSING.

So not only did I not manage to update the plugin I chose automatically (how do i solve this?), WPMU is now not showing any message for the other plugins that were flagged as having a new version available (how do I solve this?). I've tried logging out and logging in again - but to no avail.

Anybody else having the same problem? Any help would be much appreciated!

2. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

The automatic upgrade isn't all that great and it's the same with regular Wordpress. The page not refreshing itself is pretty common. Did you check if the plugins actually updated or not by comparing their plugin versions? I mean is this really a problem you need help with? You could just update them manually..

3. stankt
    Posted 15 years ago #

MrBrian,

No problem updating manually, other than maybe the "inconvenience". But since the automatic upgrade function is (now was) there, I thought of giving it a go. The results are as described...

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, it's buggy. They're working on it.

5. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

I still vote for getting automatic upgrade function outta there :)

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Me too, but it's going in.

7. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hmmm... I think the first plugin that disables it once it's in will be the most downloaded MU plugin this year.

8. andrewbillits
    Posted 15 years ago #

If it can be disabled by a plugin then I'll happily code and release it on wpmudev. I agree that it shouldn't be put in.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

To be fair, the plugin updates are *only* visible to site admins, and they *have to* provide ftp credentials.

no way are they letting users install plugins. They didn't suddenly go crazy. ;)

10. andrewbillits
    Posted 15 years ago #

Even at that I don't think it belongs on a mu install. Then again I don't even like the auto-upgrade built into WP now :P

11. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah, I agree. Just thought I'd clarify tho.

12. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ahh well, I don't have FTP enabled on my server (or firewall), so it's not going to work anyways :)

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by stankt
  • Latest reply from cafespain