The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

My users passwords arent working. (7 posts)

1. moralito
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi there, after day and a half of researching about my problem i've given up and im now turning to your guys. So hopefully you wont find me annoying asking for help on problems that have already been solved.

So anyway, I've recently exported an entire site from Joomla 1.5 to MUWP, wich i've installed BuddyPress on. Now, i managed to export an entire forum to BBPress aswell, and managed to connect the cookie between MU and BB. Now the big BUT is that the script i used to transfer all the users from my old forum (SMF) to MU/BB converted the everything smoothly and even fixed the MD5 problem for passwords, but now none of the users can login using their old account info like they should be.

I check inside Users in BB and MU, and even in the DB, and everything is there. But for some reason MU nor BB wont accept their password. It just says "Wrong password" when they try to login.

Now i asked a close friend to to a password recovery and that worked for him since it generated a new pass.

But really, i dont want to ask all my users to recover for a new pass :(

Haven't been able to find a solution anywhere yet. Hopefully you guys can help me out!

Thanx alot in advance.

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

But really, i dont want to ask all my users to recover for a new pass :(

I'm afraid, this may be your only choice...

3. pumpkinpatch
    Posted 15 years ago #

Not plain MD5 anymore, salted now. See:
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/206570?replies=5

4. moralito
    Posted 15 years ago #

Checked the posts and links that were posted on that post Pumpkinpatch, but couldn't find any solution to my problem anywhere :/

5. moralito
    Posted 15 years ago #

Shameless bump :( Really hoping for someone to take a look at this and maybe help me find a solution.

6. pumpkinpatch
    Posted 15 years ago #

Try this:
    Set your new password as cat.
    MD5 of cat is d077f244def8a70e5ea758bd8352fcd8. (ref: http://tools.benramsey.com/md5/)
    Do you see that in the database? It will be something else. The passwords are not plain MD5 anymore because WP changed it sometime back so that dictionary attacks are not possible. That's what the post I quoted talks about.
    What I'm trying to say is that the pw in your database might be in the old format (plain MD5) and unusable because this time around they are salted.
    One suggestion is to grab a very old version of WPmu, do your Joomla to WP bridge + BBPress integration. Then upgrade to a more recent version of WPmu.
    There might be a better way to do this, like writing a php file containing WP functions to convert the old pw into new, but unfortunately, my understanding of this topic is quite limited :(
    Good Luck!

7. moralito
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hmm thanx alot for this, gonna try later tonight or tomorrow to fix this. I'll post the results as soon as i have them. Thanx again.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by moralito
  • Latest reply from moralito