The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Install never gave me an admin login (9 posts)

1. sdimbert
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've installed the MU version of WP twice now, on two different shared hosts. Each time, the install itself has gone well, but I have never received the email with login information for the Admin user (of the entire MU installation).

When I create a blog, everything works fine... I just don't ever receive login info to administer the whole shebang.

I've got MySQL access, but the password is garbled in the db. Clicking the resend doesn't work, either.

Help?

2. Dave-o
    Posted 17 years ago #

Are you using an email account through an hostng account?
    these should work fine.
    Or a internet provider like aol & compuserve?
    as some of these don't except most computer generated email.

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

The password is within MD5 encoding. You should be able to edit this via phpMyAdmin. Just make sure you tell it to change it to MD5 before you save it.

4. cregyy
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi

I have had the same problem. No admin email or password. When I request a password for the admin it says that there doesn't seem to be a user with that name.

Also we had someone register with the blog to test it but they don't seem to have got a confirmation email. This is 24 hours after the event. I tried with a different name and I got the email to register - but when I try to activate it says there is no page with this id.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Rich

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Cregyy, have you read Dave's post up above?

Have you checked with your host about if they have an email server accessable on this box?

6. matrixmonkey
    Posted 17 years ago #

i had same issue no email was sent and when i checked with the database the email address was stored as 782367h32jdsa6 and the username was not stored as admin but random numbers also

to fix i just replaced them with the correct info

7. ntek
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's kind of interesting, I wonder why email address in admin account is garbled after installation - I went over to reqular wordpress instructions and used following to reset admin password - and yes, password email is not functional, there is something not right in wp_mail function, I will dig into that later when I have more time.

You can create new password with ease, just

echo -n newpassword | md5sum

and from that you can grab new encoded string and replace the one in admin password field in database.

I had to go through trial and error to figure out that -n parameter IS A MUST, otherwise your password won't work.

NTEK

8. free99
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've installed the MU version of WP thousand times, and always got
    "Congrats! Your blog has been set up and you have been sent details of your login and password in an email."

message but just never receive that email.

I try to write a test program on the same host and it did work

<?php
    echo "mail3 test<br>";
    $to = 'root@localhost';
    $subject = '4susu';
    $message = '<b>yo</b>, 4susu?';
    $headers = "From: root@localhost\r\n" .
    'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion() . "\r\n" .
    "MIME-Version: 1.0\r\n" .
    "Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8\r\n" .
    "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit\r\n\r\n";

// Send
    mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);
    echo "mail has been sent to ".$to;
    ?>

So I'm sure it's the problem of WPMU.
    Is there any configuration about Mail Server should be set in WPMU???

><"

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've also had issues with the odd user not recieving their password as well. No, it was not in their spam filter. ;)

Works 98% of the time though.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by sdimbert
  • Latest reply from andrea_r