The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

blog id number - where stored ? (12 posts)

1. mrcycling
    Posted 15 years ago #

Can anyone point me to where wpmu stores the incremental count for numbering blogs as they are created. Even though we have been deleting most test blogs, the number for each new blog id keeps on incrementing, so we have blog1, blog2, blog8, blog16. Before we go live it would be nice to reset this counter, so we start again at blog1, blog2, blog3, blog4, etc.

Thanks

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

No, you should not 'reset' this.
    Unless you want problems, of course :)

3. mrcycling
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is there a reason not to reset it ? Of the blogs currently on the server, only blog 1 (the default blog) and blog 2 (a staff blog) will be retained. All of the others will be deleted before we go public with the website.

It would be nice if the first guest's blog starts at number 3, not number 23.

4. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Noone except you (admin) sees those IDs.

5. mrcycling
    Posted 15 years ago #

True enough, it is more of an aesthetics thing ... starting the website's public life from 1. But if it can't be done, c'est la vie.

6. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Leave it as it is :)

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Wipe the db and reinstall, that'll reset everything. :D

8. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Why is it starting at 23? Did you do that many text blogs and then delete them? Next one should be #4.

9. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

He did, he has stated this in the first post :)

10. easysleeper
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am going to say something that may be entirely wrong and if so please yell at me...

I think the incrementing looks at highest number in db + 1.

I had several test blogs when I started (by several I mean 2, not 22) and I deleted them before the first rl user and there are no gaps... just saying either in a late night of hacking away (with beer) I manually did this or it did as I said and goes ++.

11. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

I saw that but I also saw this: "blog1, blog2, blog8, blog16" It had me concerned.

12. mrcycling
    Posted 15 years ago #

andrea_r ... unfortunately I want to keep blog 1 & blog 2 as they are, so that wouldn't work.

Guess I will have to live with the counter incremented as it is. No worries.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by mrcycling
  • Latest reply from mrcycling