The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Creating A "Blog Group" Function/Plugin. Any Ideas, Thoughts? (4 posts)

1. redsoxmaniac
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am by no means technical in the sense that I can create plugins, but I do collaborate with friends at the University and a couple of outside programmers for help at times ( VentureMaker again, thank you ).

I am "venturing" to create a plugin/function whereby the admin can command a function ( plugins, adding/erasing data ) based on blog groups.

Hypothetically, I have a plugin called "announcements", which is just text at the bottom of each post. I have 30 blogs, and some announcements aren't important enough to be in all blogs. Combined with the blog group function, I can choose the blogs ( or exclude ) the blogs where I add/delete text from the plugin.

I see this as a potential function within Wordpress MU, whereby instead of administering singular blogs when it comes to changing things, that one sweeping command can change all the blogs that need to be changed, and not just an all-or-one-or-nothing change that MU has now.

I know I haven't said anything in "technical" or "functional" terms. But I do want to ask:

Does anything like this exist in Wordpress MU or in the open-source community? Is anyone working on a similar project? Anyone have any ideas on how it can be implemented? Any ideas on features this function can have?

Currently, one can create a "blog group" which would add a table that will have the data of the blogs chosen. The other function would allow one to exclude blogs that don't need certain changes. Another function would be to add blogs without creating a group. The final function would be to change all blogs.

From here, under these functions, one could use any plugin or wordpress function ( with proper modifications ) and can control and organize blogs better.

Any reaction is welcome. I will be OK if you laugh or bash the idea. But just putting it out there:)

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

It's me again ;)

I would say that using these 2 plugins is kinda 'framework' for what you want to do:

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Blog-Topics
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/wpmu-power-tools

3. redsoxmaniac
    Posted 15 years ago #

Very viable start. Thanks very much. I'll take a peek at the php executor. The blog topics is also pretty good as well.

4. DeannaS
    Posted 15 years ago #

The code in the blog topics plugin can give you an idea about how to set up tables and such and put blogs in the tables. In the newest (not released) version, I added code to "exclude" a blog from aggregation functions. Basically, you just add another column to the join table that you check if you don't want to use it. I've also added a way for site admins to set a topic on what we've decided should be called the "magic" page - where site admins can edit any setting for a blog. I'd suggest you look at adding your functions to that page.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by redsoxmaniac
  • Latest reply from DeannaS