The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Advantages and disadvantages of user.domain.com vs domain.com/user/ (6 posts)

1. Daxion
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm new with WordPress MU and I would like to know if there's one that is better than the other, for example, better SEO, or it's just a preference.
    Thanks in advance

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Search engines and many other sites (ad networsk for example) will see each subdomain blog as a seperate site, whereas in a subfolder install they are all seen as "under" the main domain and part of it.

3. MAVIC
    Posted 15 years ago #

Search engines and many other sites (ad networsk for example) will see each subdomain blog as a seperate site

That's largely not the case anymore. I saw some tests recently which confirmed that Google has now changed to no longer treating subdomains as separate sites.

4. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

5. MAVIC
    Posted 15 years ago #

http://searchengineland.com/how-changes-to-the-way-google-handles-subdomains-impact-seo-12899

In the past, some search marketers may not have gone with the first option, to have it be within an existing site. That’s because it meant there was no opportunity to get more than two listings on the same page. Instead, historically, putting the blog on either a subdomain or a separate domain meant it would be treated as a completely different site, allowing the marketer to potentially pick up a third or even a fourth listing on the page.

Now that’s changing. Google is no longer treating subdomains (blog.widgets.com versus widgets.com) independently, instead attaching some association between them. The ranking algorithms have been tweaked so that pages from multiple subdomains have a much higher relevance bar to clear in order to be shown.

6. Pegasus-18
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just take a look at Matt Cutts blog and you might know the answer (but who ever knows when it's about Google?) :-)
    Anyway it's a question of belief, but in my eyes subdomains only make sense if you have enough different content there (from a SEO point of view), else take a subfolder structure.

That they are treated almost equally in the meanwhile is correct, you can't take the first SERP positions with many subdomains anymore or higher your dompop noticably.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by Daxion
  • Latest reply from Pegasus-18