The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Adding new WPMU blogs results in no erros but no blog under blogs.dir folder (3 posts)

1. aelroy
    Posted 15 years ago #

This is very odd.

WPMU seems to work fine and the main blog was created without problem. I attempted to add blogs (subdomain configuration), but though there is no reported error, the wp=content/blogs.dir/ folder is still empty.

Likewise when I try to go to the new blogs subdomain it is redirected to the servers default page.

Any trouble shooting ideas anyone?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"but though there is no reported error, the wp=content/blogs.dir/ folder is still empty. "

That's as it should be. The blogs are *virtual*. those folders are for each blog's *uploads* only. They do not house a copy of WP for each blog.

the subdomains blogs aren't working because you didn't two crucial steps outlined in the readme: a wildcard subdomain record and a vhost (wildcard subdomain) in Apache.

3. aelroy
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks Andrea,

Yes, your direction was right. The WPMU was on a non-exclusive IP. I figured out I could either enter each of the sub-domains I wished to use into the Apache conf, or alternatively put the WPMU site on its own IP address. I chose to do the later and it works fine now.

Thanks again!

About this Topic