The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU vs Joomla (5 posts)

1. Chucky32
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ive been working on a wpmu cms site for the past month, but a friend of mine told me to use Joomla on not wpmu. Ive heard of it, but I havent done any research on it and hate the fact that I could start all over on my site. I need a muli-user site like MPMu.

What are your thoughts on this?

I reallt need yoru advice here.

Is there a Joomla mutli-user foundation?

Thanks in advance.
    -Chucky

2. pumpkinpatch
    Posted 15 years ago #

What are your needs (or maybe easy to just link to your site).
    Although WP started out as a blog software, it has evolved its own ways of being a CMS, to the point where it has several plugins and some core functionality that make it very good for that job. But it all depends on what you want to accomplish. If you can list your important needs/requirements...

3. honewatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

It does depend on what you would like to do.

I've done a lot of development/customization for Wordpress Mu, Drupal, and Joomla.

I like Mu best for general community based CMS. If you just want to create a community site for multiple users and multiple blogs you should just go with Mu.

If you need more extensive features I'd look into Drupal.

I only use Joomla if clients insist after I've recommended against it. In my opinion it's just a poorly designed community CMS compared to Mu or Drupal.

4. Chucky32
    Posted 15 years ago #

My preference is to have MU since Ive been working on it for so long. But having a Social Community is also important too. But JomSocial is far more advanced than BuddyPress and that has my attention as BuddyPress is causing so much head-ache.

http://socialcmsbuzz.com/create-a-social-networking-site-with-joomla-using-jomsocial-16022009/

Id like to create a multi site network that individuals can write article's and documents under one core site that offers a social profile as well.

My site is a MU/CMS site.

Im really impressed with Jomsocial from the looks of it, but I need to do more research on Joomla. Id hate to leave WPMu as I have invested so much time and money into it

5. honewatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

You have to pay for JomSocial although it is cheap.

I've been testing out Facebook Connect with Mu and I like it so far.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by Chucky32
  • Latest reply from honewatson