The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Categories no longer working. Help needed quickly please. (6 posts)

1. worldblogosphere
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, I found and tried a plugin called default categories. It works and creates all the categories on all the blogs. Problem is it doesn't support sub-categories. So it shows them all as top level. So I uninstalled it.

I fixed the category heirarchy by putting all the subs back into the top levels. They didn't work. When a category was clicked it just reloaded the home page.

I went and deleted every single category. then recreated all 130+ categories. Still getting the same result. It reloads the home page.

What do I need to switch to make them work again?

Thanks,
    Gene

2. worldblogosphere
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well it seems some of the category slugs are messed up. I have been searching for hours to come to that conclusion.

Have we actually come up with a way to change the slugs in MU?

I went and deleted ALL of the categories in the databases of EVERY blog. When I go to create one of the categories that had the bad slug it still shows with the bad slug.

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

it seems in 2.7 the slugs can be changed !? I admit I haven't changed oen to see if it actually gets saved, but see screenshot for editing slugs...
    http://screencast.com/t/sWCqcGae

4. worldblogosphere
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi Ovidiu,

Nope that feature doesn't work. It must be one of those features they start to put in and then decide no one needs it. Sort like global categories. (Which is what got me into this error in the first place.)

If you edit the Slug from the Quick Edit and save it just changes the slug again.

Example:
    What I want -
    Sports
    Tennis

What I get -
    Sports
    Tennis-sports

What I get if I try to change slug -
    Sports
    Tennis-sports-2

From there each time it is changed it jumps between the two.

Thanks for trying to help though.

5. worldblogosphere
    Posted 15 years ago #

OK, it can't just be the category slugs that is causing this. I have now tested multiple categories where the slug is correct and normal. When the category is clicked it simply reloads the home page instead of redirecting to the category page.

This is a major problem for my site. Does anyone have any ideas at all as to what the problem could be?

Thanks for any help you can give.

6. worldblogosphere
    Posted 15 years ago #

Categories are now working. It was a permalink problem to go with the sub categories.

Now my only remaining problem are these ridiculous slugs. Why on earth would they A) Make then adjust like this, B) Non-editable?

Why is the "Slug" space there under the quick edit option if it doesn't allow you to change them?

If anyone comes up with a solution to changing category slugs please let me know.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by worldblogosphere
  • Latest reply from worldblogosphere